You've finally made it to move in, thank God! When I moved in, I felt a strange combination of wanting my parents to leave as soon as humanly possible and wanting them to never leave and take me back home. 

What I'm saying is, this day will probably be stressful and strange in more ways than one. 

To make the day easier, read through this breakdown of what moving in will look like. If you're still shopping for what you need to bring, check out some of things that are most commonly forgotten here

Before move-in: 

Get a pass: Download a parking pass to print out from housing.unc.edu to put on the dashboard of your car. This will keep you from getting towed while you're moving into your dorm. 

Figure out your move-in date and time: To combat how many people are moving in, UNC staggers when first-years move in. Here's how they organize your move-in day: 

DATE:

• ODD numbered rooms in Craige, Craige North, Ehringhaus, Koury, Hardin, Hinton James, Horton or Morrison: Move in on Aug. 17
  • EVEN numbered room in Craige, Craige North, Ehringhaus, Koury, Hardin, Hinton James, Horton or Morrison: Move in on Aug. 18 
  • ANY room in Graham, Aycock, Lewis, Everett, Stacy or any other hall: Move in on Aug. 18 

TIME: 

• If your last name starts with A-G: 9 a.m. 
  • If your last name starts with H-M: 10:30 a.m. 
  • If your last name starts with N-S: Noon 
  • If your last name starts with T-Z: 1:30 p.m. 

The morning of move-in: 

Where to park: Surprisingly, you get to park at the building that you're assigned to! There are incredibly limited spots, but there should be some parking attendants to help direct you to the nearest parking spot if your dorm lot is full. 

Unloading and unpacking: You are only supposed to have 40 minutes to unload your car completely and move into your dorm. So, the best route to take is to fully take everything out of your car and put it in your room before you start unpacking what you've brought and putting it in its correct place. It's better to come back to it once you've found a more permanent parking spot. 

After your 40 minutes are up, the parking attendants I mentioned before will tell you the nearest parking lot to stow your car more long term. 

Getting into your room: The lobby of your dorm will probably look like a zoo. But, the chaos will be organized and you'll find a station here where you can check in and get your room keys. 

At this time, they're going to tell you how expensive it is to replace a key when you've lost it. Pay special mind to this, because they really do cost an arm and leg to replace. 

Right after your move-in: 

Mandatory hall meeting: When you move in, you'll probably see signs around your dorm announcing a mandatory meeting with your RAs. You'll probably get an email from them with a reminder. Go to this meeting — it goes over a lot of logistical stuff, but you'll be happy you went. 

Roommate agreements: Within the first few weeks of school, your RA will come to your room and work through a roommate agreement contract between you and your roommate. This can be everything from "don't eat each other's food" to "lights off by midnight." It depends on what you and your roommate want, but keep in mind that if there are problems down the line, your roommate (or RA) could reference what you agreed upon then.