North Carolina Symphony renders Beethoven’s 5th in Memorial Hall

NCSymphony Renders Beethoven's 5th
Photo Courtesy of Yousra Bouzaghar

The first four notes ring out — an indication of the drama and excitement that will fill the next 30 minutes. It’s Ludwig van Beethoven’s Symphony No. 5 swarming the air in a whirlwind of emotion.

The North Carolina Symphony performed Beethoven’s 5th on Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. in Memorial Hall. 

“Beethoven’s 5th is probably the most popular classical symphony ever written and certainly the most performed," Tonu Kalam, the conductor and music director for the UNC Symphony, said. "Everybody knows those first four opening notes. It’s a piece that you never get tired of no matter how many times you’ve been exposed to it." 

Kalam is in his 31st year leading the UNC orchestra. He said he has chosen Beethoven’s 5th twice for UNC showcases because of its acclaim. 

“(Students) know it’s one of the great masterpieces of standard literature, so every time I have programmed it, I have had a tremendous response,” Kalam said. 

Three of Professor Kalam’s former students now have full-time jobs working for the the North Carolina Symphony's administration. Jessica Kunttu works as an assistant librarian and occasionally plays with the orchestra as an extra player of the bassoon. 

First-year pharmacy student Yousra Bouzaghar said she always checks the North Carolina Symphony’s website to see what is on the program for the season. She was struck by Beethoven’s 5th because she has loved it since her childhood. 

“I grew up with classical music, so I have heard the 5th since I was a little girl," Bouzaghar said. "It’s special because it starts out so powerful, and then it ends on such a hopeful note. I think with all of Beethoven’s music, with every turn he takes he takes you with him. You never lose interest in the piece. It’s like he’s showing you a part of yourself that you never knew existed.” 

The North Carolina Symphony is comprised of more or less 70 active musicians and conducted by Grant Llewellyn. Director of Communications, Meredith Laing, said she encourages students, faculty and citizens of the area to take full advantage of the proximity of the concert.

“The North Carolina Symphony is such a fabric of our state," Laing said. "Seeing the largest performing arts organization in North Carolina right on the campus is an opportunity that shouldn’t be missed."

Bouzaghar, who has played the piano since she was 11 years old, said she believes the influence of classical music is important for younger generations to encounter. 

“I think a lot more of the youth need to be exposed to classical music and the older arts," Bouzaghar said. "A lot of people think classical music means old and uninteresting, but in reality, it’s the base of who you are. It shows you a world that you never knew existed." 

Beethoven’s 5th premiered in 1808, and since then it has been performed for several orchestras' inaugural concerts. It has also become renowned in pop culture starting after World War II, when it was underscored in commercials. 

This fame is one reason many orchestras, including the North Carolina Symphony, choose this piece to kick off their events. 

“It’s a great way to start out our season," Liang said. "Beethoven’s 5th is one of the most well-known and favorite symphonies ever written, so a lot of people know and love it."

The North Carolina Symphony will travel to Southern Pines, Raleigh, New Bern and Wilmington, bringing their rendition of Beethoven’s No. 5 across the state. The symphony will return to Chapel Hill on Nov. 15 to perform "Pathétique" by Tchaikovsky. 

“The North Carolina Symphony is really invested in serving our entire state," Liang said. "That makes us really unique among orchestras. Most orchestras are based in a certain city, but we perform all over. It brings our musicians closer together given all the traveling they do, and that translates on the stage. They work amazingly as a team.”