Thursday June 17th

After 6 years, Hedgepeth murder investigation continues

Friday marked the six-year anniversary of the death of UNC student Faith Hedgepeth, and the Chapel Hill Police Department reaffirmed its commitment to solving the case by appealing for anyone with information to come forward.

“Our department hasn’t once stopped working on this case, and we won’t until it’s solved,” said Chris Blue, chief of the Chapel Hill Police Department, in a statement. “We’re very confident in this case; it’s not a question of if it will be solved, it’s when.”

Faith Hedgepeth was a junior at UNC when she was found dead in her apartment on Sept. 7, 2012. More information has been released since the beginning of the case to encourage people to come forward. The police department has also been using new technology, like DNA testing, to piece together the evidence it already has, it said.

“We continue to believe that someone knows more about this case than they have been willing to tell us,” Celisa Lehew, assistant police chief, said in a statement. “We’re pleading to that person or people to come forward so we can provide closure to Faith’s family, friends and the Chapel Hill community.”

There is a $40,000 reward for information leading to her arrest. If you have any information, you can call  (919) 942-7515.

@ampogarcic

Anna Pogarcic

Anna Pogarcic is the editor-in-chief of The Daily Tar Heel. She is a senior at UNC-Chapel Hill studying journalism and history major. 

Next up in Crime and public safety

Next up in Public Safety

Next up in City & County

Next up in The OC Report

Next up in UNC-Chapel Hill

Next up in Chapel Hill Police

The Daily Tar Heel for April 2, 2021