No. 2 UNC field hockey sweeps weekend set in Louisville to improve to 6-0

The North Carolina field hockey team celebrates during its 5-1 win against No. 5 Michigan on Aug. 25 at Carolina Field Hockey Stadium.

The North Carolina field hockey team defeated Louisville, 3-1, and California, 6-0, this past weekend in Louisville, Ky., to improve to 6-0 on the season.

On Friday, the No. 2 Tar Heels (6-0, 1-0 ACC) played their first conference game of the year against Louisville. The Cardinals (4-2, 0-1 ACC) scored first in the game, but UNC was able to muster enough energy to pull in front with three goals in the first half. Neither team scored in the second half, allowing the Tar Heels to pull out a 3-1 win, their first ACC victory of this season.

Following Friday’s game against Louisville, the Tar Heels were scheduled to play against California at 3 p.m. on Saturday. But due to forecasted weather, the game was moved up to 1 p.m., giving the Tar Heels less than 20 hours of rest.

However, the lack of rest didn’t hinder UNC too much, as it was able to crush California (2-2) with a 6-0 win. The Tar Heels scored three times in each half, with four goals scored off nine penalty corners.

Junior Catherine Hayden led the way with a two-goal performance against the Golden Bears.

Hayden stood out the most this weekend. With one goal against Louisville and two against California, she did not let up. With seven minutes left in the first half against Louisville, Hayden received a pass from senior midfielder Eva van’t Hoog, turned, and scored UNC's second goal of the game.

In the game against California on Saturday, Hayden scored the first and third goals of the contest. Hayden’s fist score was a reverse-stick shot four minutes after the start of the game and her second goal right before halftime was on a deflected shot that van't Hoog had sent towards the goalie.

The game against Louisville was decided with 2:51 remaining in the first half, when senior defender Ashley Hoffman scored the Tar Heels' third goal. Neither team made a shot in the second half.

However, the game against California was decided at the 4:02 mark of the match, with Hayden’s first goal. The Golden Bears were unable to get on the scoreboard and lost to the Tar Heels, 6-0.

The win over Louisville was the Tar Heels' first ACC victory of the season and the domination over California gives UNC positive momentum necessary moving forward with the season.

North Carolina head coach Karen Shelton said that it is harder to play away games, especially when one of the back-to-back games gets moved up, as was the case on Saturday. 

Shelton also noted that Louisville has one of the best goalies in the country and that scoring three goals against the keeper highlights the potential and strength of the Tar Heels this season.

“You know it would be great if we could earn the No. 1 seed in the ACC tournament," Shelton said. "We haven’t done that yet, so we took our first step this weekend by beating Louisville."

Where do they play next?

The Tar Heels face Appalachian State on Sept. 11 at home in the newly constructed field hockey stadium at 6 p.m. 

The Mountaineers' head coach played as a defender for the Tar Heels under Shelton, but the UNC coach knows once her team takes the field the only objective is winning.

@markburnett1234