Lightning and thunder doesn't keep UNC field hockey from 6-0 shutout over App State

The North Carolina field hockey team celebrates during its 5-1 win against No. 5 Michigan on Aug. 25 at Carolina Field Hockey Stadium.

Fresh off its trip to Louisville, Ky., the UNC field hockey team persisted through bad weather conditions to beat Appalachian State 6-0 Tuesday night to remain undefeated. 

The Tar Heels (7-0, 1-0 ACC) came out strong in the opening minutes of the game. With two early shot attempts, they were able to keep the ball on the Mountaineer's (4-3) side most of the half. However, both close shots barely missed becoming goals. 

After 10 minutes of play the echo of thunder and flashes of lightning sent the game into a delay that lasted for about an hour and 40 minutes. But once the weather lightened up, the Tar Heels emerged from their locker room dancing before taking the field. 

After the long break, North Carolina returned with a penalty corner in the 11th minute, as Ashley Hoffman assisted Maria Creatore on her third goal of the season. Just two minutes later, the Tar Heels lined up for another penalty corner, and Creatore scored her second goal of the night on an assist from Malin Evert. 

In the 29th minute, Feline Guenther dribbled in from the left baseline to score the Tar Heels third goal. Erin Matson added another goal to her teams lead when she slapped a hard shot from mid circle into the upper left corner. 

North Carolina outshot Appalachian State 19-0 in the first half, and the Tar Heels also attempted six penalty corners in the half. 

After a shortened halftime, North Carolina opened up the half with a goal in the 49th minute as Matson scored from the left side of the cage for her second goal in the game. Cassie Sumfest added to the lead with her own goal in the 53rd minute off an assist from Guenther and Matson.

Matson had an all-around impressive outing as she brought her scoring total to six on the year with two goals, which ties for second on the team. She also paced the offense and assisted on a play in the second half. 

Creatore opened up the game with two goals after the delay and spark her teams strong offensive run. Creatore’s goals brought her total to four goals on the season after a slow start. 

North Carolina dominated all around on Tuesday night as the team held possession of the ball for the majority of the game. The Tar Heels gave up six shot attempts all game to the Mountaineers while taking 29 themselves, and attempting 14 penalty corners. 

The shutout victory was the Tar Heels fourth in five games. The team is also now outscoring its opponents 31-3 on the season. 

The win gives the team more momentum as they approach the heart of conference play, including a matchup with fourth-ranked Duke on the road. The teams dominant play as they head into some major ACC games is an important factor according to Hoffman. 

“The way we have been playing lately is extremely important for us,” Hoffman said. “With some ACC games coming up next, there are no easy games and having that mentality on defense is huge.”

Where do they play next?

Due to the hurricane approaching North Carolina and much of the east coast, the Tar Heels next two games against Virginia and James Madison have been postponed with no date for makeup yet.

The Tar Heels will turn their attention instead now to the No. 4 Duke on September 21st on the road in Durham.

@Jconn_24