North Carolina football falls in Thursday night primetime game, 47-10, at Miami

Surratt sacked

Quarterback Chazz Surratt (12)  is pressured by Notre Dame defenders on Oct. 7 in Kenan Memorial Stadium.

A Thursday night primetime game did not follow the script for the North Carolina football team.

With quarterback Chazz Surratt and defensive end Malik Carney among nine players returning from suspensions for the Tar Heels (1-3, 1-1 ACC), there was reason for optimism.

After UNC scored a field goal on its opening drive, it looked like the team might shock Miami. However, the plot quickly changed in the form of a 47-10 loss against the Hurricanes.

The Hurricanes responded after the UNC field goal with a 4-play, 75-yard drive resulting in a touchdown.

Nathan Elliott, who started the first drive, led his team back onto the field down just, 7-3. But quickly the momentum shifted. On third-and-6, the redshirt junior dropped back to pass and quickly became swarmed by pressure. As a Miami defender wrapped his arms around the signal caller, the ball came loose and defensive end Jonathan Garvin scooped it up before running into the end zone.

Head coach Larry Fedora quickly made a change, opting to put Surratt in the game after the miscue from Elliott. The change proved fruitful at first, with Surratt guiding his team down the field and scrambling for a 17-yard rushing touchdown, making it just a 14-10 Miami lead. 

The Hurricanes increased their lead with a field goal on the next possession, giving the ball back to Surratt for a chance to tie the game. He quickly guided his team down the field, using his legs again for a 20-yard run. But on third-and-17, he made a grave mistake. Under intense pressure, Surratt threw the ball to an open player — Miami defensive end Joe Jackson — who returned the interception 42 yards for a touchdown. 

Just like that, the Tar Heels went from potentially tying the game to down, 24-10. 

The turnovers kept piling on from there. Two possessions later, Surratt was picked off once again with 11 seconds remaining in the half. The mistake led to a 28-yard field goal as time expired and Fedora’s squad trudged into the locker room trailing, 33-10, in a game that once seemed well within reach.

Neither team scored in the third quarter. It looked like UNC would cut into the deficit, getting the ball into Miami's red zone and even reaching first and goal. However, the drive was derailed, putting the team at fourth down from the Hurricanes' 31-yard line. Kicker Freeman Jones attempted a 48-yard field goal, but he could not connect on it.

On the first play of the final quarter, Surratt made another costly mistake. With his team in the Hurricanes' red zone yet again, he threw an errant pass that was intercepted and run back 83 yards for a touchdown. It was the third defensive touchdown on the night for Miami, and the sixth Tar Heel turnover. 

With 4:04 left on the game clock, the Hurricanes put the nail in the coffin with a 1-yard rushing touchdown to make it a 47-10 game. 

That score held until the final whistle as Fedora's squad walked off the field in Coral Gables, Fla. 

Early in the game it looked like UNC might surprise the Hurricanes. In fact, the team trailed just 14-10 after one quarter. But costly turnovers condemned the team and put it in a 1-3 hole. 

The return of Surratt was a mixed bag. He ran the ball nine times for 69 yards and a touchdown but threw three interceptions, leaving his coach with yet more questions as his team went off script yet again.

@christrenkle2