Here's how you can help Hurricane Florence victims

hurricane florence

In the wake of Hurricane Florence, North Carolinians will be feeling its devastation for months to come. 

Throughout the Carolinas, people are in need of basic supplies, while those in more damaged areas have been forced to relocate and are searching for shelter. 

UNC has announced several opportunities for students, faculty and staff and the Chapel Hill community to find ways they can best help those in need.

Red Cross Shelter at the Friday Center

Beginning Saturday, the University partnered with the American Red Cross to open a storm shelter at the Friday Center for those displaced by Florence. The shelter is fully staffed and no longer needs donations of goods, but monetary donations to the victims can be made on the American Red Cross website.

Donation Drive

Beginning Sept. 18, the University will be collecting non-perishable food items, water, personal hygiene items and other essentials to be delivered to the state’s hardest-hit areas. For a full list of items and donation hours, click here.

State Volunteers

For those interested in volunteering time, supplies, donations or resources to those affected by Hurricane Florence, signups are available through the state’s volunteer website. Donations can be made directly to the Governor’s Disaster Relief Fund.

We Wilm Rebuild Charity Drive

UNC’s Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority has partnered with We Wilm Rebuild, a student-led disaster relief project from UNC-Wilmington to gather supplies for those affected by Hurricane Florence. The sorority will be collecting donations from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. through Friday at its house at 302 Pittsboro St. 

UNC Campus Rec Drive

UNC Campus Recreation will be collecting donations in the Student Recreation Center and Rams Head Recreation Center lobbies until 10 a.m. Friday to be delivered to the areas most heavily affected by the storm. 

American Red Cross Donations via Google

Google will match all donations generated through the search engine up to $1 million. So, if you’re going to give money to the Red Cross, you might as well do it through Google to get the most out of your donation.

Operation Airdrop

An organization of volunteer aircraft owners and pilots is collecting supplies at the Raleigh-Durham Airport to be delivered directly to victims in heavily affected areas across the state. In addition to goods, Operation Airdrop is looking for volunteers to sort supplies and help load them onto the aircraft. For more information and supply lists, click here.

@Zach_Goins