If you live in one of these Chapel Hill neighborhoods, be aware of possible flooding

State and local officials have spent the past week preparing for the potential effects of Hurricane Florence as areas that aren’t usually likely to flood are put at risk.

Check here for updates on road closures and driving hazards in Orange County.

Ran Northam, community safety communication specialist for the Town of Chapel Hill, said many areas in and around Chapel Hill are especially prone to flooding.

“The Town is working with residents in those areas to be sure they are aware of the threat of flooding,” Northam said. “In some cases, voluntary evacuations were initiated beginning (Wednesday) as Orange County opened shelters (Wednesday) at 6 p.m.”

The Town of Chapel Hill identified in a press release Tuesday several areas that are “subject to flooding during periods of extended and/or extensive heavy rain.” Those areas include:

• South Estes Drive near Willow Drive
  • Camelot Village Apartments off of South Estes Drive
  • Brookwood Condominiums off of South Estes Drive
  • South Estes public housing neighborhood on Estes Drive Extension near
  • University Place 
  • Umstead Drive between Umstead Park and Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard
  • Cleland Road between Kendall Drive and Hayes Road
  • West Franklin Street at Mallette Street
  • East Franklin Street at Park Place

Northam said residents should not travel through flood conditions.

“Don't ever travel through water — whether is moving or stationary. You can't be certain what's below the water's surface," he said. "Moving water can carry people, bicycles, wheelchairs and cars away — it doesn't take much.”

The National Weather Service also addressed the risk of flooding in a press release Tuesday.

“Inland flooding is the most deadly and serious threat hurricanes bring to inland areas of North Carolina," it said in the release. "If your yard or nearby roads around your home flood during ordinary thunderstorms, then you are at serious risk of flooding from torrential tropical rainfall. Those living near creeks, streams and drainage ditches should also closely watch water levels.”

Here's how you can help people affected by Hurricane Florence.

The National Weather Service warned these floods could be unlike anything residents have seen in the past.

The aftermath of the storm could prove to a be a risk to public safety, Northam said.

“After the storm, take your time getting out into the community and continue to use extreme caution," he said. "It may take some time for the community to return to its normal state."

Residents can sign up for email notices from the Town of Chapel Hill during the hurricane at info@townofchapelhill.org.

@MichaelJTaffe