A look into the destruction brought on by Hurricane Florence to Wilmington, N.C.

hurricane florence death

A member of the Wilmington Fire Department brings in a stretcher to assist with the removal of a mother and an infant who died when a tree fell, due to Hurricane Florence, on their bedroom on Friday, Sept. 13th in Wilmington, N.C. After hours spent rescuing the father from the residence on Mercer Ave in Wilmington, N.C. unconfirmed reports of the tragic death of a mother and infant began to spread. Local officials confirmed these reports at a press briefing at the disaster command center located in the government center in Wilmington, N.C. 

On Sept. 14, a mother and child died after a tree fell into their bedroom at their home in Wilmington, N.C. DTH Photographer Jason Armond was on the scene in the wake of the destruction caused by Hurricane Florence as it hit the Carolinas. 

A member of the Wilmington Fire Department brings in a stretcher to assist other first responders after a mother and an infant died when a tree fell on their bedroom on Friday, Sept. 14 in Wilmington, N.C. The father of the child was rescued from the residence on Mercer Ave., and local officials confirmed the deaths at a press briefing that afternoon. At least 17 people have been killed in North Carolina, 23 total, because of Florence. 

Hurricane Florence toppled a tree into a bedroom of a house on Mercer Avenue in Wilmington, N.C. on Friday, Sept. 14. 

A Wilmington police officer points in the direction where a tree fell on a residence critically injuring one and taking the life of a mother and an infant on Friday, September 13th in Wilmington North Carolina. As hurricane Florence approached Wilmington, North Carolina early Friday morning a family of three slept in a back bedroom of a home on Mercer Avenue. Shortly before 7 A.M officials report heavy winds caused a large tree to crash through the bedroom where a family slept. A valiant rescue effort was made to save all lives at the scene, tragically only one life could be saved while the other two were lost. First-responders from a number of agencies converged on the scene to help in any way possible. Heavy equipment was used to raise the tree and gain access to the victims. Despite heroic efforts tragedy concluded the day.

A Wilmington police officer points in the direction of where the tree fell on the residence. 

Safety Captain, Timothy Brock of the Wilmington Fire Department, Safety Brigade sets on the back of a fire truck as the rescue, and subsequent recovery effort comes to a heartbreaking conclusion on Friday, September 14th. In the midst of hurricane Florence's rain and wind, Wilmington firefighters and other first-responders take a break knowing the tragic outcome that concluded their several hour's long rescue effort. A father was critically injured at a residence on Mercer Ave. on Friday, September 13th in Wilmington, NC.

As Hurricane Florence approached Wilmington, N.C. early Friday morning, the family of three slept in the back bedroom of the home. Shortly before 7 a.m., officials reported heavy winds, which likely caused the large tree to crash through the bedroom where the family slept. 

First-responders converged on the scene to help in any way possible. Heavy equipment was used to raise the tree and access the victims. Despite heroic efforts, tragedy concluded the day.

Drivers attempt to maneuver flooded roadways in Wilmington, after Hurricane Florence dumped heavy rains on the area. 

A gas station was toppled due to high winds brought on from the slow-moving hurricane. 

Along with many restaurants and businesses in downtown Wilmington, owners and operators of Pender’s Café did not wait long to begin the recovery process. Tammy Pender (left) and Jenifer McDaniel (right) clean up shattered glass from a broken window at Pender’s Café on Front St. on Friday, September 13th in downtown Wilmington, North Carolina. "Penders Café has been in Wilmington for over 40 years, and my mother who started this business can’t recall a time when our windows have broken due to a hurricane," said Pender. Hurricane Florence caused widespread damage across the Wilmington, NC region.

The owners and operators of Pender's Cafe in downtown Wilmington did not wait long before beginning the recovery process, similarly to many business owners in town. 

Tammy Pender (left) cleans up shattered glass from a broken window at Pender’s Cafe on Front Street. 

"Pender's Cafe has been in Wilmington for over 40 years, and my mother, who started this business, can’t recall a time when our windows have broken due to a hurricane," Pender said. 

Members of the National Guard exit the scene where a fallen tree, due to hurricane Florence, critically injured a father and took the life of a mother and infant on Friday, September 14th in Wilmington, NC. The National Guard was one of many first-responders that rendered assistance in the recuse and subsequent recovery efforts at a residence on Mercer Ave, in Wilmington.

The National Guard was one of many first responders that assisted in the rescue and recovery efforts in Wilmington, including at the scene on Mercer Ave. on Friday. 

The Tree Service, LLC. of Saucier, Miss. traveled to assist in recovery from the storm, working to remove fallen trees in the area. 

Carrying two chainsaws a FEMA agent leaves the scene where first-responders and various disaster relief agencies spent hours rescuing one person and recovering the bodies of two others. A fallen tree critically injured a father and took the life of a mother and infant on Friday, September 13th in Wilmington, NC. Hurricane Florence continued to blow through the Wilmington area while first responders worked tirelessly at the tragic scene on Mercer Ave.

Carrying two chainsaws, a FEMA agent leaves the Mercer Avenue residence where first responders rescued the father of the infant, who, along with their mother, tragically died. 

Waffle House’s reputation of being the last one to close and the first one open during a hurricane reigns true in Wilmington, NC. One day after hurricane Florence hit Wilmington the Waffle House on South College road is back up and running. Huge lines of hungry customers wait eagerly outside a packed Waffle House for their chance at an All-Star breakfast, scattered, smothered, and covered. This same site could be seen at the several other Waffle House locations on Saturday, September 15th in Wilmington, NC.

Residents crowd outside a Waffle House for food, one of few restaurants still open. 

John Fowler and Lee Voncanon take their pack of Basset Hounds out for a walk after hurricane Florence rips through their Wilmington, NC neighborhood on Friday, September 14th. “I can’t believe this hurricane brought down so many large trees, said Voncanon.” Princess Place Ave. in Wilmington was made impassable for cars due to numerous downed trees and power lines. Much of the roads across Wilmington and Southeastern North Carolina are closed due to downed trees, downed power lines, and flooding. Wilmington officials have informed the public, that in some cases, it could take weeks to restore power to the area.

Owners walk their four dogs amid fallen branches brought on by Hurricane Florence.