Office DJ: There might be bad weather outside, but it sure is sunny inside

chris trenkle headshot

When I was 8 years old, I walked into Walmart and bought my first CD with the help of my older sister. 

The album was "Encore" by Eminem, not exactly the kind of sound my innocent ears needed as a first taste of hip-hop.

Upon returning home, my mother watched in horror as I proudly pulled my fresh purchase out of its plastic bag. Suffice to say, she was not pleased and my new belonging was quickly confiscated.

Little did she know, a few months later I found the CD and started listening. From there my love of music grew. Soon I began listening to the Black Eyed Peas, Green Day (yikes), The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin and so much more.

By the time I was 20, my iTunes library held over 3,000 songs, most of which were of the hip-hop or rock genres. I loved boasting to my friends about the great music I had added to my collection. 

But what I loved more than just talking about my music was playing it. I served as the DJ whenever possible, a role I still covet today. Whether it be in the car, while playing video games, or getting ready for a Saturday night on Franklin Street, I take any chance I get to share my favorite music with friends, something that no doubt can get annoying at times.

So as Hurricane Florence continues its path toward North Carolina, I thought it would be a good idea to put a playlist together. The weather outside might be awful, so I figure I might as well do my best to create a happy atmosphere inside. This is not a collection of my all-time favorite songs, but rather a comprehensive list that includes good music and good vibes. And naturally, I had to include Fayetteville’s own J. Cole, the greatest of all North Carolina rappers. I also made sure to include Mac Miller, the 26-year-old rapper who tragically died of a suspected drug overdose earlier this month.

If you are not a fan of classic rock or hip-hop, this might not be the playlist for you. But hopefully you do have good taste, and if so, you will enjoy it as much as me while you hunker down for the rest of the week.