Office DJ: Kate is done with singles

Kate Karstens, University Desk Assistant Editor, thinks you should stop listening to just singles. Photo courtesy of Kate Karstens.

Back in my iPod nano days, I listened to singles, and only singles. I was an impressionable middle schooler and if the radio didn’t play songs within their respective albums, then I wouldn’t either. 

My older brother casually chastised me one day for only listening to “Snow (Hey Oh)” by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and not the entire "Stadium Arcadium" album. Desperate to prove myself to an angsty teen four years my senior, I promptly listened to "Jupiter" and "Mars" on repeat until I could triumphantly return and claim my prowess in music. 

After sauntering in, quoting a line from “Especially in Michigan” and offering my evaluations, my brother lost interest quickly. 

“I don’t really like them that much,” he said. “My goal was to teach you how to appreciate music.”

Jakob had a very simple philosophy: songs are meant to be heard in the sequence and manner the artist presents them. To listen to Track 7 would be like watching 20 minutes of the middle of a movie and being satisfied. 

I wholeheartedly believe I made it through high school boredom by listening to albums. With both siblings in college, I was alone with only sports and the paper to occupy my time. It only took one Lord Huron album per away game bus ride, and I was able to spread Jack Johnson out for almost a whole week. All because of album listening, my tastes evolved from Adele and Two Door Cinema Club in my first year to Tame Impala and Rainbow Kitten Surprise by senior graduation. 

My brother taught me many things: going to school in California successfully excuses you from seeing Mom’s insane family, carrying a deck of cards at all times means you’ll never be bored, being able to play pool will impress any date and, most importantly, your taste in music is the greatest example of your personality. 

Although making a playlist arguably directly contradicts Jakob’s philosophy (and mine, I suppose), I’ve selected songs that will entreat you to listen to the album they’re drawn from. 

This, ladies and gentlemen, is my personality. If you don’t like it, I suppose you just aren’t ~evolved~ enough. You can always try again next time, sweetie.