BREAKING: Former North Carolina guard P.J. Hairston wanted for assault on a female

P.J. Hairston

Former North Carolina guard P.J. Hairston (15) takes a shot during the 2012-2013 season.

The life of former North Carolina men’s basketball player P.J. Hairston took another dark turn on Friday afternoon.

Hairston, whose full name is Samuel Peterson Hairston, is wanted in Guilford County for multiple charges, including assault on a female, according to the Greensboro News & Record and other outlets.

The two additional charges for the 25-year-old are interfering with emergency communication and injury to personal property. 

While arrest warrants have been issued, they have not been served, so details are unavailable to the public. 

The Guilford County Chief Assistant District Attorney Howard Neumann confirmed the charges against Hairston, according to the News & Record. 

Following a breakout sophomore campaign in the 2012-2013 season that saw Hairston average 14.6 points and 4.3 rebounds, the young man found himself in trouble with the authorities. 

On May 13, 2013, he was cited for speeding. On June 5 of that same year, Hairston underwent a traffic stop and was cited for possession of marijuana and driving without a license. During both incidents, he was driving rental cars that were linked to Haydn "Fats" Thomas, a convicted felon. 

The charges from his June infraction were dismissed in July, following Hairston’s completion of a drug assessment. He also had to provide a current driver’s license in compliance with the court.

But on July 28, Hairston again found himself in trouble. The guard was cited for speeding and reckless driving in Salisbury, N.C., while going 93 mph in a 65 mph zone. Hours later, head coach Roy Williams suspended Hairston from the team.

He served a 10-game suspension to start the 2013-2014 season before UNC announced it would not reinstate the guard.

On Jan. 14, 2014, Hairston joined the Texas Legends of the NBA Development League (now called the NBA G League). In June of that year, he was selected by the Miami Heat as the No. 26 pick in the NBA Draft, but his rights were quickly traded to the Charlotte Hornets. 

Hairston played parts of two seasons in Charlotte, averaging 5.8 points per game and 2.4 rebounds. He made 45 starts during his stint, before a Feb. 2016 trade to the Memphis Grizzlies. 

Following the 2016 season, Hairston signed a deal with the Houston Rockets, but was sent to the team's D-League affiliate, the Rio Grande Valley Vipers. 

Hairston was once again arrested on May 17, 2017 while playing for the Vipers. His outstanding warrants from Orange County were for “harassing communications”, according to Wrightsville Beach Police Chief Dan House. House's comments appeared in a report by the News & Observer.

After 111 career games in the NBA, Hairston retired from professional basketball on July 13, 2018, citing health as a factor.

This story will be updated once the arrest warrant is served.

@christrenkle2