The Daily Tar Heel

Serving the students and the University community since 1893

Monday May 10th

Folt and the Board of Trustees are asking for your opinion on Silent Sam's future

<p>UNC Chancellor Carol Folt speaks at the 2017 9/11 Memorial Stair Climb at Kenan Memorial Football Stadium.</p>
Buy Photos

UNC Chancellor Carol Folt speaks at the 2017 9/11 Memorial Stair Climb at Kenan Memorial Football Stadium.

In an email sent on Monday morning, Chancellor Carol Folt and the UNC Board of Trustees released a statement saying that they have created an email account for the community to share their ideas for the future of Confederate monument Silent Sam. 

"I know that many in our community and beyond feel passionately about the monument," the statement says. "As a next step, we have created a dedicated email address, uncmonument@unc.edu, for anyone to submit ideas about the statue’s future." 

In the statement, Folt and the BOT said that while they could not respond individually to every submission, they would review each one. 

Silent Sam was pulled down by demonstrators in a protest on Aug. 20. On Aug. 28, the UNC Board of Governors announced that a plan for Silent Sam's future must be formed by Nov. 15. 

Shortly after the statue's collapse, many wondered if the monument would need to be replaced, referencing a North Carolina statute dictating that monuments, memorials and works of art cannot be removed without prior approval, and that if they are removed, they must be replaced within 90 days. The statute also states that if an object of remembrance is removed, it must be relocated to a place of equal honor, accessibility, prominence, visibility and availability. 

On Aug. 31, Chancellor Folt released a statement saying that while the monument has a place in history, it was a threat to public safety. 

"Silent Sam has a place in our history and on our campus where its history can be taught, but not at the front door of a safe, welcoming, proudly public research university," she said in the statement.



The newly-announced email comes after The Daily Tar Heel released calls, voicemails and emails received by the Chancellor's Office and other UNC officials immediately following Silent Sam's removal. Many who called showed outrage and anger about the monument's removal and lack of University response.  

Read the transcripts of calls the Chancellor's Office received after Silent Sam fell. 

On Sept. 14, WRAL released text messages and emails exchanged between UNC officials on the night of the monument's collapse and in the days that followed. 

In the statement, the Chancellor and Board reminded emails sent to the uncmonument@unc.edu are public record, similar to the texts, emails, calls and voicemails released earlier this month. 

Chancellor Folt and the UNC Board of Trustees will present their plan to UNC-System President Margaret Spellings and the Board of Governors by Nov. 15, though they did not say if it will take until the deadline to create it.

@sarahdlundgren

university@dailytarheel.com

To get the day's news and headlines in your inbox each morning, sign up for our email newsletters.


Next up in UNC-Chapel Hill

Next up in Administration

Next up in UNC system

Next up in Higher Education

Next up in Board of Governors

Next up in Carol Folt

Next up in Silent Sam Monument


Comments

The Daily Tar Heel for April 2, 2021

Special Print Edition

Games & Horoscopes

Print Edition Games Archive