UNC volleyball dominates Maryland Eastern Shore, 3-0, for second straight win

volleyball skylar wine

UNC outside hitter Skylar Wine (6) spikes against UNC-Greensboro Friday, Aug. 31 in Carmichael Arena.

The North Carolina volleyball team defeated Maryland Eastern Shore, 3-0, on Saturday afternoon, its second sweep in a row after defeating UNC-Greensboro on Friday. 

North Carolina started out strong, winning its first set in dominating fashion, 25-13. Junior transfer Skylar Wine led the offense throughout the whole game, while libero Mia Fradenburg helmed a defense that only allowed seven kills in the opening set. 

The second set was equally one sided, although the Tar Heels allowed the Hawks to go on a three score rally late to close the gap, before North Carolina won 25-18. 

The third set was tightly contested as well and saw the Hawks lead for much of the opening scores. At one point, Maryland Eastern Shore went up on UNC 10-5. The Tar Heels came back, however, eventually tying up the score at 21-21 before closing out the match on a 4-1 run. 

Wine continued the hot kill streak she started Friday night against UNCG. After leading the team with 15 kills then, she chipped in 13 Saturday afternoon on just 17 total attacks. The Tar Heels leading point getter is a recent edition to the team despite being a junior. She transferred into the program from Pacific. 

First year setter Annabelle Archer also made an impact in her very first game of the season, leading North Carolina in total assists with 12, as well as pitching in a serving ace and a dig. 

It was clear quickly into the first match that North Carolina was the better team that would continue its dominance from the previous night. After securing the second match, it was only a matter of time before the Tar Heels wore down Eastern Shore with their offense, led by Wine. 

North Carolina is still an incredibly young team, with six true first-years on the team, two of which, Archer and Destiny Cox, played a major role in securing the victory for UNC on Friday. The team still needs time to gel together, as shown by their falter down the stretch in the third set. With two wins in a row, the team bounced back from its opening losses to Wisconsin and Minnesota in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.

The Tar Heels will play against Michigan State later Saturday night at 6:30 pm. Michigan State received votes in the most recent NCAA coaches poll after being ranked no. 22 earlier in the season. 

@bg_keyes