UNC women’s soccer uses depth to extend perfect ACC record in 5-1 win over Louisville

Madison Schultz

Junior forward Madison Schultz outruns Louisville defenders during a 5-1 win over the Cardinals on Sept. 29, 2018.

Alessia Russo scored two first half goals and the North Carolina women’s soccer team extended its perfect ACC record in its 5-1 win against Louisville at WakeMed Soccer Park. 

For a moment on Saturday afternoon, it seemed like the ice wouldn’t break for North Carolina (9-2-1, 4-0-0 ACC).

But then, all of a sudden — after a ball banged off the crossbar and a multitude of floating crosses didn’t result in notches on the scoreboard — the ice shattered.

In the sixth minute, Louisville (9-2-0, 3-1-0 ACC) scored after an errant pass from the Tar Heel defense led to a breakaway one-on-one opportunity. The Cardinals’ goal proved to be an alarm for UNC — one that woke up its attack. 

Russo got the proverbial ball rolling. In the 16th minute, the sophomore forward finished off a direct free kick from 25 yards out. Minutes later, she fought for a ball sent over the top of the Cardinals’ back line and eventually converted on a one-on-one opportunity with the opposing goalkeeper.

In the last second of the 29th minute, senior midfielder Dorian Bailey finished off a carpet-skidding cross from redshirt sophomore Taylor Otto, and in the 34th minute, Otto finished off a penalty kick. North Carolina led the Cardinals, 4-1, at the conclusion of the first half — after notching four unanswered goals.

In the second half, Otto scored her second goal of the game and her fourth of the season en route to North Carolina’s ninth win of the season. 

Alessia Russo, last season’s ACC Freshman of the Year and second-team All-ACC selection, scored her second and third goals of the season against the Cardinals. Last year, she led the team in goals with nine — the bulk of which she scored in ACC play.

Russo was slow to get up in the game’s 34th minute after drawing a foul within Louisville’s 18-yard box. She didn’t play for the rest of the half, but she returned to action by the start of the second half.

North Carolina’s fate was sealed after Bailey’s goal late in the first half. The Cardinals didn’t get a quality scoring opportunity in the second half — and the opportunities didn’t seem to stop for UNC.

In what reasonably could have been North Carolina’s toughest conference test of the season thus far, the Tar Heels dominated. Prior to the contest, Louisville boasted an undefeated conference and a one-loss overall record.

The blemish-less second-half performance North Carolina put on, however, seemed to prove that the Tar Heels’ depth of talent will be a valuable weapon moving forward. North Carolina used 26 of its 30 players in Saturday’s game.

North Carolina will travel to South Bend, Ind., to take on ACC powerhouse Notre Dame on Thursday at 7 p.m.

@alexzietlow05

sports@dailytarheel.com | @DTHSports