Daavettila, Jones fall in second round of Oracle ITA Masters for UNC women's tennis

Sara Daavettila Michigan

Sophomore Sara Daavettila prepares for a hit against Michigan on Feb. 18 in the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center.

North Carolina women’s tennis players Sara Daavettila and Makenna Jones traveled out west to compete in the Oracle ITA Masters on Sept. 20-23; however, their trip was cut short when both juniors lost in the second round. 

UNC opened the fall tennis season on Thursday, Sept. 20, with Daavettila and Jones competing in the first round of singles at Pepperdine University in Malibu, Ca. 

“It was good getting back into matches,” Jones said. “I try to compete at my best and have fun with it.” 

Jones, the No. 2 seed, came out swinging in the first set of match one with a 6-2 victory. The junior eventually defeated Long Island Brooklyn’s Anna Grigoryan 6-3 in the second set, earning her way into the second round of ITA Masters. 

No. 27 Daavettila fought her way through the first round as well, beating Furman’s Katarina Kozaro 6-4, 6-2.

The second round, though, proved to be a challenge for the two Tar Heels. Jones quickly fell behind after losing the first set 6-4. Despite sending the second set into a tiebreak, she fell 7-6 (4) to USC first-year Salma Ewing. Daavettila faced the same problem, falling 7-6 (4), 6-2 to UCLA first-year Elysia Bolton. 

Both juniors stood out for their resiliency in the second round — even though things ended with a loss. Despite coming home to North Carolina with an early loss, their grit showed as they battled in different sets to 7-6. 

“My highlight moment was during the second day of the matches during singles,” Jones said. “I was down two, and I was able to save them and tried to comeback. Even though I lost them, I knew my fight is always there.”

For Jones, there was still hope heading into the second set. She fought up until the final point, when the likelihood she could fight for a third set was eliminated. As for Daavettila, things started to fall out of reach once a close first set didn't end in her favor. 

This was a big tournament for both North Carolina and the two players as individuals. The Oracle ITA Masters was the first ITA National Championship event for the upcoming season — a national-level tournament that extended an invitation to only 32 men’s and women’s players. Last season, UNC sophomore Alle Sanford won the tournament. 

Where do they play next? 

UNC will travel out to Pacific Palisades, California on Sept. 29-Oct. 7 to compete in the Riviera/ITA Women’s All-American Championships. 

@mwc13_3