A timeline of Winston Crisp's career at UNC

winston crisp file
Vice Chancellor Winston Crisp spoke at the University Affairs Committee meeting on Jan. 30. Photo by Cori Patrick.

On Thursday, Chancellor Carol Folt and Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost Robert Blouin announced Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs Winston Crisp would be retiring later this month. Vice Chancellor Crisp has worked at UNC for 26 years, starting his career at the University directly after graduating from the UNC School of Law in 1992. 

Here is a timeline of Crisp's storied career at UNC. 

1992

Winston Crisp becomes the UNC School of Law's first assistant dean for student affairs and first associate dean for student services. While serving in these positions, he strengthened the School's coordination between students, academic programs and financial management. 

2005

In recognition of Crisp's outstanding leadership, the Student Bar Association created the Winston B. Crisp Award for students who exemplified those same leadership qualities. 

2005

Crisp left the UNC School of Law and joined UNC Student Affairs as assistant vice chancellor for Student Affairs and dean of students. 

2007

Crisp spent time at Virginia Tech helping the university recover from the mass shooting that took place that year, advising administration on student safety and mental illness. 

January 2010 

Crisp is appointed vice chancellor of Student Affairs. 

November 2010 

The Board of Trustees unveils a new policy making Greek rush in the spring and holding fall rush contingent on good behavior for Greek organizations. Crisp sets a deadline of January 2011 for a progress report on the execution of the new policy. 

March 2011

Crisp presents his plan for Greek reform to the Board of Trustees, including higher grade point average standards for Greek organizations, restructuring of the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life and mandatory spring recruitment. 

Sept. 11, 2012 

UNC Director of Fundraising Matt Kupec resigns after questions surface regarding his use of University travel funds, which appeared to have been used for personal reasons in prior years. Questions were raised during a performance review that showed Kupec had taken trips with Tami Hansbrough, mother of Tyler Hansbrough and UNC fundraiser. 

In 2010, then-Chancellor Thorp told Kupec that Hansbrough could not be hired. During her tenure, Hansbrough reported to Crisp. 

Jan. 16, 2013 

Melinda Manning, then UNC’s assistant dean of students, files a complaint alleging that she was pressured by the University Counsel’s Office to underreport sexual assault in 2011, citing Dean of Students Jonathan Sauls, Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Winston Crisp and the Office of University Counsel. 

Cited in her complaint, Manning claimed she had inquired about filling the vacant position of dean of students after Crisp was appointed vice chancellor in 2010. Manning said upon inquiry, Crisp told her "he would 'never hire her because she had a young child at home’ and what that could mean.” 

Afterward, Sauls was appointed to dean of students. 

After persistent issues with Sauls, Manning brought the matter to Crisp. In the complaint, Manning said Crisp told her that filing a grievance would “go badly for her.” 

Manning resigned shortly after. 

Jan. 23, 2013

Professor Jennifer Ho of the English and Comparative Literature Department writes a letter in the DTH calling for Crisp to be placed on leave or resign following Manning’s complaint, along with Jonathan Sauls, Leslie Strohm and Kara Simmons.

Sept. 2, 2015

Chancellor Folt establishes the Chancellor’s Task Force on UNC History, and Crisp serves as the co-chair.

Jan. 7, 2017

Crisp announces student governance will be split into two governing bodies after stepping in to mediate the decision. 

March 28, 2018

Crisp announces the creation of a task force on mental health at UNC at the Board of Trustees' University Affairs Committee.  

Sept. 14, 2018

WRAL releases texts and emails about the toppling of Silent Sam, highlighting texts from Crisp.

In the texts, Student Affairs Chief of Staff Christi Hurt texted Crisp, “You think they’re gonna take that thing down?” 

Crisp responded, “One can hope."

After the statue fell, Crisp texted: “Whew. What a mess. Won’t be texting. You be very careful with text and email also. Call if you need.”

Oct. 4, 2018

Chancellor Folt and Provost Blouin announce Vice Chancellor Crisp's retirement, effective later this month. 

@sarahdlundgren

@baileysaldridge

online@dailytarheel.com