Wednesday October 20th

Eat good. Feel good. B.GOOD.

B. Good opened next to Target on Franklin, and serves food from sustainable sources.
Buy Photos B. Good opened next to Target on Franklin, and serves food from sustainable sources.

Customers can enjoy anything from zucchini noodles with eggplant meatballs to kale smoothies at B.GOOD, Franklin Street's newest spot for healthy eating.

Founded by Anthony Ackil andJon Olinto in Boston, the restaurant hopes to bring Chapel Hill back to its roots.   

Ackil and Olinto grew up eating fresh and wholesome homemade meals, so they wanted to create an atmosphere that feels like home at their international chain B.GOOD, which has locations across the East coast, and in Europe and Canada. 

“(Ackil and Olinto) just grew up eating in Uncle Faris’ kitchen, and they wanted to have that on a grander scale and bring back the sit-down, wholesome family meal,” said Karla Yankowski, B.GOOD's new store opening team manager. 

B.GOOD works with FreshPoint, a national produce distributor, to connect their restaurants with local farmers. The restaurant strives for its ingredients to be as fresh and local as possible. 

“All the food is completely from scratch, from cutting the lettuce and cooking the grains," Yankowski said. "Some of it has to get sourced out because of just the sheer volume, but the stuff is still made fresh for B.GOOD.” 

B.GOOD aims to provide fast food pace without fast food side effects, Yankowski said. The food comes out quickly, but is fresh and nutritious, a growing trend that students have noticed in new local restaurants.  

“It’s the way Chapel Hill seems to be going,” junior Caelan Eckard said.

B.GOOD was created with the “friends and family” concept in mind, extending beyond customers, all the way from management to employees, Yankowski said. 

“Nothing brings people closer together than cooking together, and our society has lost a lot of that,” Yankowski said. “(Ackil and Olinto) used to say, ‘Food made by people, not factories.'”

Healthy food is not the only obvious difference in B.GOOD. The staff is noticeably different too. 

“The service is awesome," sophomore Sarah Payne said. "They’re all super sweet, and every one of them says ‘hello’ to you when you walk through the door.” 

“I really like their milkshakes," first-year Kelsey Snelgrove said. "Their milkshakes and smoothies are really good."

With two Raleigh locations, Chapel Hill seemed like the next best place for B.GOOD to call home. 

“We try and reach out and work with the community,” Yankowski said. “Once we put our roots down in the Chapel Hill, hopefully we’ll develop those relationships.”

The restaurant is still working on establishing its roots, but until then, Chapel Hill residents can look forward to healthy and fast homemade meals.

Next up in Business

Next up in City & County

Next up in The OC Report

Next up in Food Issue

Next up in Local food and agriculture

Next up in Franklin Street

Next up in Community members attend inaugural Chapel Hill-Carrboro Juneteenth events

Next up in Chapel Hill

Welcome Back Edition 2021