UNC extends deadline to drop classes

Hurricane Florence Cleanup

Because of Hurricanes Florence and Michael, the Office of the University Registrar and its partner offices have extended deadlines to drop classes or declare classes pass/fail to Oct. 25.

Undergraduate students who drop classes before Thursday will receive a grade of W, for withdrawal. 

Thursday is also the last day for faculty to submit final grades for undergraduate students with temporary incomplete grades from previous terms before those grades convert to Fs. The original deadline was Oct. 16. 

The University created the Student Success Hub for Florence Recovery in the Carolina Union to support students whose circumstances have been affected by both Hurricanes Florence and Michael. 

Deadlines were extended because the University felt that all students had been affected by the hurricanes. Professors have pushed assignment deadlines back to accommodate the five days of canceled class in September, and the University believes students need more time to make informed decisions, according to the Student Success Hub.

“My understanding is that this room was used for storage. We’re thankful to the Carolina Union staff who turned around this space in a very, very short amount of time to make it available to us to be here for the students,” said Student Success Coordinator Roberta Norwood. “It’s truly a campus-wide effort.”

Students living in areas affected by the hurricanes received emails with specific information about the hub. 

“Some of the questions that I’ve seen in the students that I’ve been communicating with have included, ‘I have some financial needs to fix my house.’ Sometimes we get questions from students saying, you know, 'I just need someone to talk to,'” said Norwood. “Sometimes we’re able to communicate with faculty members to say that a student is communicating with us, and they have concerns about being able to catch up.”

Junior Matthew Snyder is from Wilmington, and his father and younger brother came to stay with him in his dorm room during Hurricane Florence. 

“My family had to do a lot of adjusting in a short amount of time,” Snyder said. “The hurricane made a huge impact on the severity of classes because of how much class was lost. Now professors feel too rushed and put a lot of pressure on students.”

Despite the academic rush, Snyder does not plan to take advantage of the later drop deadline, because he cannot afford to lose any credit hours. 

“I am very grateful that the University pushed the drop deadline to give students ample class time to discern if they are able to manage the course load,” junior Rachel Pedigo said. “The hurricane did not affect my access to resources, but did affect my daily schedule, and I began to fall behind in classes amongst the confusion.”

Any enrolled students can use the Student Success Hub for personal, academic or financial support related to hurricane recovery. The Hub is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

@CaseyQuam