Fall Craft Market builds a community around supporting local businesses

Ben Bergmann, a farmer from Fickle Creek Farm, has been a participant of the Chapel Hill Market for 12 years.   Taking place in the parking lot of University Mall, the market is has moved its location several times.  With the prospect of having a permanent home, Bergman says, "I wish it could be here permanently but it's a little tenuous to be honest.  It would be nice if we had a longer term commitment from the mall."
Ben Bergmann, a farmer from Fickle Creek Farm, has been a participant of the Chapel Hill Market for 12 years. Taking place in the parking lot of University Mall, the market is has moved its location several times. With the prospect of having a permanent home, Bergman says, "I wish it could be here permanently but it's a little tenuous to be honest. It would be nice if we had a longer term commitment from the mall."

Chapel Hill Farmer's Market is hosting a Fall Craft Market on Saturday, Oct.13th. In addition to regular farmers and food artisans, a wide range of local crafters will be attending the market. The Fall Craft Market is the 10th Anniversary of the Chapel Hill Farmers' Market.

“We will have a range of crafts including pottery, textiles, jewelry and painting…it will be an opportunity to shop for gifts and home accessories along with all your fresh local produce and artisan foods," Kate Underhill, the manager of the Chapel Hill Farmers’ Market, said.

Underhill said this year they scheduled 10 craft markets, but the last one got cancelled by Hurricane Florence. They will still have four more holiday craft markets between October and December

“We have always had a few vendors who do crafts at our market, but we have specific dates where we hold Craft Markets with guest craft vendors several times a year. We've been doing that for at least five years.” Underhill said. 

Claudia Sanders is the community board member of the Farmers’ Market. She said she has been impressed with the evolution of the market and the longevity of their vendors.

“The market’s ten years old this year, and we have had craft vendors in the market at least for the past six (years),” Sanders said. “We seem to be getting really high-quality craft vendors now.”

Sandra Litzenberger of Binary Star Studio has been involved with the craft market since 2014. She said she enjoys the market because of the connections she has made in the community and with fellow vendors.  

“The thing so amazing about that market is the people have become my friends. I know my customers very well. I haven’t noticed any big changes. It’s just sort of a consistent bright spot,” Litzenberger said. 

Litzenberger said this market is different because of its emphasis on the community experience. She said most markets are just where someone might buy food once a week, but the Chapel Hill Farmer's Market works hard to offer variety. 

“It’s certainly the smartest Farmers’ Market that I know of! Everybody I talked to, including the vendors, seems to have advanced degrees,” Litzenberger said

Sanders said she hopes the audiences can see the diversity in the Farmers’ Market goes beyond a diversity of produce, as well as prepared food like bakery and cheese, jams and jellies. 

“We have these wonderful craft vendors who bring just another aspect of local participation in the market, so this is a great opportunity to come and see a lot of what Chapel Hill and the surrounding areas offer in terms of local goods, “ Sanders said. 

Underhill said she hopes that lots of people will hear about the Craft Market and use it as an opportunity to support local businesses in the area.

“People who are interested in shopping for local foods and crafts will find everything here.” Underhill said. “All our vendors come from within 60 miles of Chapel Hill. We know there are lots of new families moving to town, as well as all the students at UNC who might be interested in supporting local businesses, eating local foods, chatting with the vendors, and experiencing the fun of a Farmers’ market.”