No. 1 UNC field hockey beats Wake Forest, 5-1, in annual Vs. Cancer game

Field Hockey Season Preview

North Carolina field hockey's Malin Evert advances the ball against Delaware in the 2016 NCAA title game.

Although it was a dark and rainy day in Chapel Hill, the North Carolina field hockey team did not let the weather affect its play.  

On Saturday, after the dedication of Karen Shelton Stadium earlier that morning, the No. 1 Tar Heels defeated No. 16 Wake Forest, 5-1, to improve to 12-0 in the team's annual Vs. Cancer game.  

Unlike the team’s previous game against Ball State, the Tar Heels started out slow in the first half. Both the Demon Deacons and UNC were evenly matched — with UNC barely holding the 1-0 lead at halftime. 

“These games, especially at the beginning are a little bit of a chess match," Shelton said. "We know their strengths, and we know their formation, and we have a certain formation."

The first goal of the game came in the 18th minute, as junior Catherine Hayden took a shot from the left side of the cage for the lead. North Carolina had only three shots on the goal in the half, while Wake Forest had just one.

Then, after halftime, something changed for Shelton's team. In the 38th and 43rd minute, back-to-back goals from senior Malin Evert changed the momentum as UNC took control.  

The Tar Heel offense was just getting started. 

Erin Matson, last week's ACC Offensive Player of the Week,  maneuvered around the Wake Forest goalkeeper and shot into the back of the net for the 4-0 lead. Matson has scored 11 goals so far this season, a team high entering Sunday. 

But the Demon Deacons would not go down without a fight. In the 47th minute, Elisha Evans scored her team’s first and only goal of the game to make the score 4-1.

With less than two minutes left to play, sophomore Cassie Sumfest scored a goal in her first game back after breaking her finger on Sept. 26 against Virginia. The defense continued to keep the ball away from the Wake Forest offense, helping UNC keep the lead. 

Through the first 12 games of the season, the Tar Heels have only allowed five goals. Now back from injury, Sumfest believes she knows why her team’s defense is so successful. 

“It really is about keeping it simple, getting the ball and giving it and not trying to get fancy or trying to show your stuff in the backfield," said Sumfest. “Just really trying to play consistent, every game is a big factor in our success."

With the defense's success and the offense scoring goals at will, the team has now won five ACC games this season, the most since 2012. With the win, the team also clinched the top seed in the ACC tournament. 

"‘I’m really happy for our team that they got this big win, and I told them it was a historic win for them," Shelton said. “Since Louisville and Syracuse joined the league, this is the first time we’ve clinched the top seed in the ACC tournament.” 

But the win was about more than the team's standing in the conference — it was about raising awareness for childhood cancer, the subject of a season-long team fundraiser. The team warmed up before the game wearing yellow ribbons in their hair and black and yellow Vs. Cancer shirts on. 

The field hockey program has raised $2,026 of its $5,000 goal so far this season. All of the proceeds raised will go to the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation and UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center. 

It's the third year in a row the team has raised funds to combat childhood cancer. This year, Catherine Hayden has raised the most money on the team and, unlike the previous two years, the Tar Heels will be raising funds throughout the remainder of the season. 

Following Sunday's game, the team has just four contests remaining, including three on the road at Boston College, Connecticut and Old Dominion. Senior Day is on Oct. 21 against Duke.

With the end of the regular season in sight, Sumfest and the team have goals they would like to accomplish. 

“I think really just focusing on the process and not getting ahead of ourselves," Sumfest said. “Just looking at each game as it comes and trying to get better each game.” 

@TorreNetkovick