Sunday November 27th

Office DJ: We get it Molly! You're from Atlanta.

Hi... My name is Molly and I'm from Atlanta.

If you know me, you know this fact. I don't let you not know it because I will mention my city of origin at least once an hour. In case you forget, there are Falcons and Braves laptop stickers, and I'm probably wearing an Atlanta-themed shirt or hat.

Long story short: I'm real annoying about it.

I know this, but I can't help it. Atlanta is one of the biggest cities in the South and home to an amazing food scene, a history of civil rights leadership and, of course, one of the greatest rap scenes, if not the best, in the country.

For rap fans, that's a hot take, but I am sticking to it. I was lucky to grow up in a place and in a school where this music was prevalent at every function, sports game, festival or especially on the radio.

Atlanta rap takes a lot of pride it itself and I am lucky to get to witness its products. A lot of this music comes from love for this city, but also a healthy level of deserved criticism. No matter the message, they are all bangers.

I have compiled a list of Atlanta rap classics that I grew up around in hopes of settling the argument about what city does it best. Find a bad song in this playlist. I dare you. 

The Daily Tar Heel Victory Paper for November 21, 2022