Wiretap audio released on Friday in plot by Adidas to pay Nassir Little's AAU coach in 2017

Nassir Little
Freshman forward Nassir Little (5) shoots during practice following Media Day, Oct. 9, 2018.

CORRECTION: An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated that Adidas was plotting to pay Nassir Little to attend Miami. Adidas was planning to pay Little's AAU coach. The story has been updated with the correct information about the potential payment. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for this error. 

On Sept. 26, 2017, the college basketball world was shook to its core.

That day, the FBI made public its investigation into the illegal activities involving the recruitment of college basketball players by shoe companies and coaches, charging 10 men with corruption and fraud. Among those men were four assistant coaches and two employees of Adidas.

On Friday, the case took a turn as Outside the Lines received federal wiretap audio, text messages and hidden camera video concerning James Gatto, the former Adidas executive who is embroiled in the center of the scandal, discussing various illegal activities, including a potential payment for then-high school senior Nassir Little to attend Miami, an Adidas client. Little's family was unaware of the discussed payments and never were offered money by anyone.

Little, now a first-year at North Carolina, a program not named in the FBI investigation, was expected by some at the time to commit to Arizona, a client of Nike. In the transcript obtained by Outside the Lines, Gatto spoke to Merl Code, another former Adidas employee charged in the investigation, on countering an offer from Arizona for Little's services that was expected to reach $150,000.

"The problem is, Arizona's offered the kid 150, and we're trying to keep him from going to one of their schools," Gatto said in the transcript provided from the wiretapped call. "So, it was brought to me through Brad and Christian, who said, 'Hey, do you think Jim would be able to keep him at Miami, because they really want the kid.'"

After the news broke regarding the FBI investigation last September, Little quickly removed both Arizona and Miami from consideration, distancing himself from the investigation.

On Sept. 28, 2017, the 1 Family Hoops Program, Little's AAU organization, came out in support of Little and his family, writing in a tweet that Little's family was unaware of the potential payments at hand.

"The Little family did not ask for, nor were offered money by any institution or individual," 1 Family Hoops said in the statement via Twitter. "They were completely unaware of any of the alleged offenses that may have mentioned or contained their son's name."

On Oct. 4, 2017, Little, the No. 6 recruit in ESPN's top 100, committed to UNC and discussed the impact of the investigation into his decision with ESPN.com.

"I just didn't want to be mixed in a situation where any of the accusations seemed like it was true. Because it wasn't," Little said to ESPN.com. "Every school I was considering was because I had a genuine interest in them. North Carolina had been the school I wanted, regardless. I just block it out. They can say what they want. I just focus on myself and do what my heart desires."

UNC head coach Roy Williams was asked about the FBI investigation enveloping college basketball at UNC's media day on Oct. 9 ahead of the upcoming season.

"This has just been very sad for me to see," Williams said. "Because some people think this is what goes on. It doesn't mean it goes on everywhere. It doesn't, and I am not familiar with that world."

"In 30 years as a head coach I have never had anyone ask me for money. I have never asked any shoe company to recruit for me. I have never asked anyone other than the family what is most important to you."

Williams also mentioned he does not believe the ongoing investigation was indicative of the hoops community at large.

"There is a tremendous majority of people who have not been in that world that I am hearing described right now," he said.

@christrenkle2