Experience fall sounds with Triangle concerts this October

October will be serving up a array of concerts in the Triangle. Featuring comedic rappers and hot indie bands, here are this month's can't-miss shows. Staff Writer A.J. O'Leary gave his thoughts on the shows heading to Chapel Hill this month. 

Froggy Fresh

Local 506 

Oct. 6, Doors Open: 7 p.m. 

Tickets $15  

Remember when James cried ‘cuz he just got dunked on? The guy who gave the world anthems like “Dunked On” and “The Baddest” is coming to the Local 506 on Oct. 6. He was forced to ditch his original name, Krispy Kreme, presumably for legal reasons, cementing his place alongside Prince as one of the greatest artists ever to change their name. 

Though the hits that made him famous had a so-bad-it’s-funny feel to them, don’t sleep on the new-and-improved Froggy Fresh. His new album, Escape From Hood Mountain, has all the jokes you know and love the dopey YouTube sensation for, and beats and rapping that actually sound — dare I say it — good.

Seabreeze Diner

Cat's Cradle

Oct. 13, Doors Open: 8 p.m.

Tickets $8 

Check out Seabreeze Diner at Cat’s Cradle for a dancey show. Their EP, For Use With Care, sounds like a day at the beach mixed with youthful exuberance and a destination wedding. It’s impossible not to have fun listening to the group. As an added bonus, they don’t sound like Mumford & Sons — not that that’s a bad thing, just all too common these days. 

Manifest Music Festival

Local 506, The Cave and The Nightlight

Oct. 19 to 20, Doors Open: 8 p.m.

Tickets $15+

Stop by the Local 506, The Cave or the Nightlight to see one of over 20 acts that will be performing at one of those three venues. Manifest Music Festival celebrates femme and LGBTQ friendly musicians, so be sure to come out to show support. 

This Will Destroy You

Motorco Music Hall

Oct. 23, Doors Open: 7 p.m.

Tickets $15

Tired of existing and ready to face the void? If so, for obvious reasons, this is the show for you. This Will Destroy You is a renowned band that has toured the world. Their music has a refreshing, emotional feel to it, which makes sense given that the group has scored multiple films and landed an Oscar nomination for their music. Come out to their show at Motorco Music Hall to experience an evening of inspiring instrumental indie-rock. 

Dirty Dub, The Beast and Maj Deeka

The Pinhook

Oct. 24, Doors Open: 7 p.m.

Tickets $10

Come out for a night of fun, light, upbeat music to dance to. Maj Deeka will bring his jazzy indie-rock sound to the show, The Beast will impress with their four-pronged hip-hop attack and woke lyrics and Dirty Dub will challenge the notion that computers are cold, unfeeling machines with his soulful electronic tracks. 

The show also has a suggested $10 donation at the door to aid areas that were affected by Hurricane Florence, so if you want to make a difference for coastal communities, come out with some extra cash and shake your body like a cyclone.

Hippo Campus

Cat's Cradle

Oct. 30, Doors Open: 7 p.m.

Tickets $22+

Part electronic, part quality instrumentation, part groovy — Hippo Campus at Cat’s Cradle will be the perfect concert to close out a month of pretty darn good concerts. 

Though maybe not the spookiest way to get in the Halloween spirit, it’ll be the hottest ticket in town. Tangentially, I would argue it doesn’t really matter because Halloween is more about consumerism than frights these days — but this is hardly the arena to make that assertion. Anyways, Hippo Campus’s new album, Bambi, is a banger. The title track, and “Golden” are my personal favorites.