Viewpoints: Rider, the superior way to travel

Paige Masten

Have you ever woken up dreading the long walk to North Campus, but worried that the bus wouldn’t get you to class in time?

Have you ever wanted to know exactly how far away the bus was from your stop?

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to ride a bus other than the U to class, but been too scared to take the chance?

Well, look no further. TransLoc Rider, the premier bus transportation app for iPhone and Android, is the answer to all of your burning questions.

Rider offers a number of useful features that will help you get wherever you need to go, whether it be Target, your favorite restaurant on Franklin Street or your 8 a.m. that’s at the opposite end of campus.

The best part about Rider is its interactive interface. Every stop is indicated with a button that, when pressed, lists the routes that service that particular stop, plus arrival predictions for each one. It's also updated in real time.

Rider has an icon for each bus that corresponds with the route color. When you click on the icon, it shows you the precise location of the bus at any given moment, so you always know how much longer you have to brave the outdoors before the bus finally comes to rescue you.

Even better, you can even save your favorite routes and stops for your convenience. Every time you open the app, they are right there waiting for you, just like your dog or your best friend.

Rider allows you to explore all that Chapel Hill Transit has to offer without the fear of accidentally ending up somewhere in Carrboro. The U and RU aren’t the only useful routes on campus. If you’re feeling adventurous, you can even try the CM, CCX or FCX routes. Most routes can take you from South Campus to Franklin Street just as easily as the much-loved U can.

And did I mention that Rider is the only app that includes the P2P routes? When you’re stranded on Frat Court at 2 a.m. on a Thursday night, you can always count on Rider to tell you when the P2P will be there to pick you up. Other apps, such as NextBus, will not be there for you in your time of need.

If you’re reading this, do yourself a favor and download Rider. I promise it will change your life.