Your look ahead at North Carolina athletic events for the Oct. 5 weekend

Karen Shelton, Field Hockey
Karen Shelton, head coach of UNC's field hockey program, has led the team to six NCAA Championships since becoming head coach in 1981. She has been named National Coach of the Year five times and was inducted into the USA Field Hockey Hall of Fame in 1989.

The North Carolina football team is off this week, but there are still opportunities to go see UNC programs play in Chapel Hill over the weekend. 

Tar Heel squads participate in nine regular season events from Friday through Sunday. Without further ado, here’s what to look for:

Field Hockey

The No. 1 team in the nation kicks off its weekend with a home match against No. 16, Wake Forest, at 1 p.m. on Saturday. With a win against the Demon Deacons, the Tar Heels will be one step closer to clinching the ACC regular season title, with just two more conference matches remaining.

On Sunday, the team heads to the road to take on No. 19 Liberty at 1 p.m. The Flames are 8-3 this season and 1-2 against ACC opponents. In 2017, UNC defeated Liberty, 6-4, on the road.

Men’s Golf

The men’s golf team heads to South Bend, IN., on Sunday to begin a two-day tournament. The Tar Heels are competing in the Notre Dame Fighting Irish Classic, marking their first competition in 13 days.

Men's golf first-year Doug Ergood follows through on a swing at Finley Golf Course on Sept. 5, 2018. Photo courtesy of the UNC Athletic Department.

Soccer

The No. 3 men’s soccer team looks to extend its winning streak to eight games with a home match against No. 19 Virginia Tech on Saturday at 7 p.m. The teams face off at Duke’s Koskinen Stadium.

The No. 3 women’s soccer team will travel to Syracuse to battle the Orange at 1 p.m. on Sunday. The Tar Heels ride a five-game winning streak into that contest.

Midfielder Jack Skahan (8) competes for the ball against UNC-W Ben Fisher (11) during the men's soccer game on Tuesday, Oct. 2 2018 at WakeMed Soccer Park. Skahan scored the only goal of the game, for a final score of 1-0.

Swim and Dive

The UNC swimming and diving team kicks off its 2018-2019 campaign with a road contest with East Carolina University on Friday at 5 p.m. Last season, the women’s squad finished No. 18 in the final season poll.

Volleyball ACC regular season title

UNC volleyball enjoys a weekend in paradise with two conference matches in Florida. On Friday night, the Tar Heels battle Miami in Coral Gables at 7 p.m. and face Florida State in Tallahassee on Sunday at 1 p.m.

Both teams are 3-1 in the conference, compared to a 1-3 mark from North Carolina. Two wins over the weekend could propel UNC into the top half of the ACC standings.

Women’s Tennis

Women’s tennis kicked off the Riviera/ITA All-American Championships Main Draw portion on Thursday. Three Tar Heels are participating in the singles draw, including No. 1 Makenna Jones.

@christrenkle2