Here's how North Carolina athletics fared for the week ending on Oct. 28

20181026_0598.jpg
Coach Rich DeSelm holds a team meeting after the home swim meet vs South Carolina on Friday, Oct. 26 2018. “This is a watershed moment for this team!” DeSelm exclaimed.

It was a successful weekend for North Carolina athletics, featuring a completion of an undefeated regular season, an ACC Tournament quarterfinals victory and a home win for the North Carolina swimming and diving team. Here's what you missed while you were asleep on the couch.

Women's Soccer

Anson Dorrance's third-ranked squad began the ACC Tournament with a matchup against Virginia Tech in the quarterfinals. An early goal from redshirt senior Alex Kimball paced the Tar Heels in the 2-0 victory to advance to the semifinals.

Swimming and Diving

Fresh off a win against East Carolina in its first competition of the season, the UNC swimming and diving team battled South Carolina at Koury Natatorium in Chapel Hill on Friday. 

The Tar Heels swept their competition, with the men winning, 159.5-140.5 and the women edging the Gamecocks, 157-143.

Cross Country

The men's side improved on last year's 11th-place finish in the ACC Championship, moving up two spots to finish in ninth this year. 

The women's side crossed the finish line in 11th place for the second consecutive year.

Field Hockey

The No. 1 team in the country extended its string of dominating play with a 3-0 shutout over No. 25 Old Dominion on Sunday. The Tar Heels head into the ACC Championship with a 17-0 mark, including eight shutouts.

Volleyball

Head coach Joe Sagula is still searching for win No. 800 after two losses to conference opponents this weekend. On Friday night, the Tar Heels fell in five sets to Georgia Tech and on Sunday lost in straight sets at Clemson.

Football

An encouraging first half against Virginia in Charlottesville, left UNC football it could salvage its season and emerge with a win on Saturday. However, the squad's energy disappeared following the intermission in a loss that all but leaves the team ineligible to appear in a bowl. We wrote some observations from the loss here.

Rowing

After finishing in fourth place at the Head of the Charles Regatta last weekend in Cambridge, Mass., UNC rowing was back in the heat of competition this weekend.

The team competed in the Princeton Chase in New Jersey, fielding six boats. The squad's top boat finished in 20th place in the varsity eights event.

Women's Golf

Two seasons ago, the women's golf team limped to a 14th-place finish at the Landfall Tradition in Wilmington, N.C. This year, the squad headed back to the event, but dramatically improved by finishing in ninth place. Senior Kelly Whaley led all Tar Heels with a 4-over-par showing, good for 10th place among her peers.

Fencing

The Tar Heel fencing team competed in its first event of the year in the Temple Open in Philadelphia this past weekend. Four UNC fencers earned top-six finishes, including juniors Carlexa Fevry in women's foil and Jackie Litynski in women's sabre. 

@christrenkle2