Sunday December 5th

Need something spooky for your week? We've got you covered.

<p>Two individuals walk down Franklin Street with their dog on Halloween night.&nbsp;</p>
Buy Photos

Two individuals walk down Franklin Street with their dog on Halloween night. 

Halloween is only a week away, and the Town of Chapel Hill has a multitude of events for students and non-students alike. 

On Oct. 26, the Helping Hands Project, an organization that 3D prints recreational prosthetic hands for children in need, is hosting a Haunted Hollow from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. in Coker Arboretum. Admission is free, but donations will be taken. There will be free candy and t-shirts will be for sale. 

UNC sophomore Benjamin Davis, a member of the Helping Hands Project, is volunteering at the Haunted Hollow. 

“Since our second meeting this semester, we've been planning to bring UNC a Coker Arboretum fully-haunted as a benefit for our Helping Hands project,” Davis said. “As one who has walked home alone a great many cold nights through Coker, I will say it needed very little help to haunt.”

Davis said he is most excited to help people learn about the Helping Hands.

“We made the trail free because we wanted to spread word about the club and its mission and to get people excited about how we're helping children with limb differences," Davis said.

Also on Oct. 26, the Morehead Planetarium and Science Center is hosting its Scare-olina Skies show from 8 p.m. to 9 p.m. The event is a variation on their Carolina Skies show and will feature extra lessons on ancient legends and monsters we still see in the sky to this day. 

The planetarium is also hosting a family Halloween event called Moonlight Madness that will take place on Oct. 27 from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. This event is free for all ages and will have a variety of Halloween activities from a costume fashion show to a haunted house. 

There will be candy and food trucks along with a photo booth to commemorate the experience. The planetarium will also be showing a condensed version of its Scare-olina Skies show. 

On Oct. 29, UNC’s Relay for Life is hosting a haunted house at St. Anthony Hall from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Tickets will be sold in the Pit on Oct. 25 and 29 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tickets are $3 if bought in advance or $5 at the door. 

All profits from this event are going to the American Cancer Society for research. Nine million dollars of this are returned annually to UNC Hospitals. 

Lastly, Homegrown Halloween will be celebrated on Franklin Street on Oct. 31 from 8 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. While the Town is not sponsoring the specific event, it does manage crowd control and will be restricting traffic.

UNC sophomore Ari Sholomon plans to go to Franklin Street on Halloween night followed by hanging out with friends. 

“Every year me and G and a bunch of my friends from Science and Math get together and stream 'Over the Garden Wall,'" Sholomon said, referencing the cartoon series. "So we get together and watch the entire thing. We’ve done that since junior year of high school.”

All of the events referenced can be found on Facebook.

@ZoeBeye

Next up in Student Life

Next up in University

Next up in City & County

Next up in The OC Report

Next up in UNC-Chapel Hill

Next up in Community members attend inaugural Chapel Hill-Carrboro Juneteenth events

The Daily Tar Heel for December 1, 2021