Tank Smith, comedian, takes stand-up inspiration from President Trump's Tweets

On Oct. 10 from 11 p.m. to midnight at The PIT Chapel Hill comedy club, Tank Smith hosted an open-mic comedy event where comics could sign up and read from a stack of Trump Tweets.  

The event is recurring every Saturday at 11 p.m. It features a variety of Tweets from President Donald Trump, handpicked by Tank Smith. 

“Anyone can come out to watch or perform," Will Purpura, the general manager at The Pit said. “It’ll be a great time.”

From “despite the constant negative press covfefe” to his seemingly constant slew of interesting Tweets, it is no secret that President Donald Trump has a knack for concocting strange Tweets on Twitter. Tank Smith, the comedian behind this open-mic event, is hoping to focus on the comedic value of these tweets and make light of the situation.

The event itself isn’t a politically charged attack on Trump. It is an outlet for local comedians to come perform and have fun with what Trump has Tweeted.

“I think it’s just funny because it’s like ‘Hey, this is the President of the United States’ and he’s Tweeting all of this wild stuff,” the comedian behind the event, Tank Smith, said. “I try to keep it funny and lighthearted.”

Tank Smith will be reading some Tweets and riffing off of them himself and then will open up the floor to any comedians who came out to perform. The Tweets were chosen either for their outlandishness, humor or strangeness. They can read from the available stack of Trump tweets or just perform their own stand-up.