Joe Sagula continues his search for win 800 after No. 6 Pittsburgh sweeps UNC volleyball

Hunter Atherton

Redshirt sophomore Hunter Atherton reaches to hit the ball in UNC's 3-0 loss against Pittsburgh on Oct. 12.

For the fourth match in a row, head coach Joe Sagula stepped onto the court in hopes of attaining his 800th win and exited empty-handed.

The North Carolina volleyball team (5-11, 1-6 ACC) never found a rhythm against No. 6 Pittsburgh on Friday in the Smith Center, and the Panthers (19-0, 7-0 ACC) — who are one of the two remaining undefeated teams in the nation after their three-set sweep against the Tar Heels — could do no wrong.

By the end of the match, the Panthers had 11 more kills, 12 more assists, 18 more digs and 10 fewer errors than their conference opponent. The Tar Heels struggled in all facets of their game, consistently hitting into the block and failing to capitalize on quick offense opportunities.

Sagula, who is entering his 29th season at the Tar Heel helm, said that his team came into the competition flat and uninspired, and that took him by surprise, considering the 6,000-plus crowd that was on-hand and the high-caliber opponent his team played.

“Pitt's good,” Sagula said. “They're not overly physical and tall, but they play solid and we knew that… But to have their middle hit .733, that's not supposed to happen, not if we're slowing them down.”

By the end of the three-set match, Sagula used 14 of his 15 allowed substitutions, diving deep into his bench to try and clear his team’s air of apathy.

“I mean, we tried to mix things up in the third set,” he said. “Kendra (Koetter) came in and did a good job of getting people pumped up. But I don't think we set well. I think our passing went away at times when we needed it.”

There were some bright spots, of course. For a moment — with the Tar Heels up 17-14 in the second set, and with Pittsburgh being forced to regroup in a mid-set timeout — it looked like a proverbial fire was brewing for North Carolina.

But even that flame was ephemeral.

“I don’t think we showed up with any intensity tonight, and it’s really disappointing to show up at a match like this with all these fans,” Sagula said. “I thought this crowd, during the first set after Destiny had a few kills, was looking for ways to support us, and we gave them none. 

“We just played so uninspired, and I don’t have an answer for that.”

Prior to the loss on Friday, the Tar Heels were undefeated (7-0) playing in the Smith Center before Late Night with Roy. And now they’re not.

Prior to the loss, Sagula was looking for his 800th win. And he still is.

“This was just a really disappointing night,” Sagula said. “I'm disappointed in the progress we've made, the effort, or the lack thereof … but we've been trying to come up with many solutions to help this team.”

He let out a defeated sigh: “We won't give up. That's the most important thing.”

@alexzietlow05

sports@dailytarheel.com | @DTHSports