UNC women's tennis competed in ITA pre-qualifiers and qualifiers

Alexa Graham Duke

Sophomore Alexa Graham returns a serve against Duke on April 20 at the Ambler Tennis Center  in Durham.

The North Carolina women’s tennis team competed in the Riviera/ITA Women’s All-American Championships pre-qualifiers in Pacific Palisades, California over the weekend. 

Qualifiers ran from Tuesday to Wednesday. 

Pre-Qualifiers

In the singles matches on Saturday, senior Chloe Ouellet-Pizer lost to Emma Wilson from Arizona by a score of 6-4, 6-2. Meanwhile, first-year Cameron Morra lost to Katarina Stresnakova from Oklahoma State, 6-4, 7-5.

In the doubles contests, Ouellet-Pizer and Morra won against their competitors from Illinois, 8-0. But the two were bounced on Sunday by a duo from Pepperdine, 8-6.

The Tar Heels were eliminated from the tournament in three of their matches this weekend in the pre-qualifiers.

Qualifiers

Junior Alexa Graham won in all of her singles matches against Oregon, Texas and Michigan to advance to the main draw on Oct. 4.

Junior No. 27 Sara Daavettila lost in her singles match against Florida, 1-6, 6-3, 6-4.

Graham stood out the most, with a 7-6, 6-0 win against Guillia Pairone from Michigan. 

This win allowed Graham to advance to the main draw on Thursday, which was a big step for her because of the high levels of players at the tournament. 

She said that she wants to become more relaxed on the court and enjoy some of her final years playing college tennis.

“So I think, honestly, today for me it was never really taking my foot off the pedal and never thinking I was going to win and just always competing like it was the first point of the match,” Graham said.

The tournament was a great opportunity for the team to showcase its skills on a competitive level in one of the best tournaments in the country. 

Even though the fall season is based more on an individual level than as a team the players still have an opportunity to grow. 

North Carolina head coach Brian Kalbas hopes that his team can have the best chemistry in the nation and play its best in April/May.

“One of our goals is to be playing the best tennis at the end of the year come May time," Kalbas said. "Yeah that’s our goal, to be the fittest team come April/May, so when it’s championship season we’re playing at a championship level and we’re able to kind of compete and have the best conditioned team possible – physically and mentally."

Where do they play next?

The Tar Heels continue playing at the Riviera/ITA Women’s All American Championships until Oct. 7. Starting Oct. 18 the Tar Heels will face off in the ITA Regional Championships in Chapel Hill.

@markburnett1234