Student artists find balance between album releases and schoolwork

alo-ver

Local musician and student at UNC-Chapel Hill Cassidy "Alo Vera" Goff performs at Local 506. Photo taken by Andi Carlton. 

A locally produced album titled “Alover” by UNC student Cassidy Goff releases Thursday night at a free party at Local 506 Music Bar. 

The album Alover is a double entendre of “a lover” and “Alo Ver," which is Goff’s musician name. 

“I really want Alo Ver to be this image of love and caring for nature and each other,” Goff said.

Goff said her music is experimental, ethereal and intellectual. Goff said her inspiration for lyrics is her passion for social and environmental issues.

“I’m really interested in taking my music and hopefully getting a platform to talk about some stuff that I’d like to change and hopefully get some people that are like-minded and hopefully start another revolution of love like the 1960s,” Goff said.

Goff’s manager is Kevin “Kaze” Thomas, founder and owner of VibeHouse 405 on Franklin Street. He graduated from UNC in 2012.

“I would describe her style as eclectic and versatile because her vocal tone is very melodic, very hypnotic and smooth,” Thomas said. “It reminds me a lot of Lana Del Ray, also Jhene Aiko.”

Thomas said the most interesting part of working with Goff is the way her music transcends any genre. Alover covers genres ranging from electronic dance music to folk, yet stays cohesive. 

"She is able to navigate each change in genre pretty flawlessly,” Thomas said. “She pulls all these separate pieces that shouldn’t go together and makes them go together.”

Goff said her music is similar to avant-garde, a genre that has its basis in experimental and non-conventional sounds. 

Ethan Baechtold, a junior at UNC-Asheville, produced many of the songs on Alover. Baechtold said Goff and his' professional relationship went from management to a true creative adventure. He said that this album is a collaboration of his musical engineering and Cassidy’s ability to write lyrics.

“She’s really inspired by nature, so I try to incorporate sounds that are literally natural or that somehow relate to nature,” Baechtold said. “That transcription of natural sounds to harmonic sounds goes around being able to put words to it. But Cassidy is someone who can put words to it.”

One of the songs inspired by nature on the album is named “Hibiscus Lemonade,” which samples field recordings from Carrboro and incorporates them into the song

“I put a microphone in my backpack and I just walked all over campus from the edge of Carrboro all the way down to Cosmic Cantina so you hear songs from Cosmic Cantina in that recording and everything in between,” Baechtold said.

Goff said she and Baechtold both focused on the vibe of each song to help create the ethereal image that Goff wanted for her album.

Goff’s musical inspirations are Sylvan Esso and Glass Animals. Her inspiration for production is Flying Lotus, a group that Goff describes as experimental and hypnotic. 

Goff has been playing the banjo and guitar since middle school and she said she always knew that she wanted to do music. However, Goff said being a student and musician has its challenges but she said making music has never felt like a job.

“I mean, it’s definitely hard," Goff said. "UNC’s a hard school, but it was never something I struggled to find time for because it’s what I have to do. I do it all the time. After I get done with class, last year, I used to go every single day and just listen to Ethan make songs and write to them.”

Thomas said that Goff’s growth as an artist has been organic and he hopes her growth continues.

“I really do feel like that she has the potential to be one of the next big things from our state, for sure, without a doubt,” Thomas said.

But, Goff said that fame isn’t the most important thing for her.

“I just want to take my music and offer a different perspective than society tells us that we’ve grown up hearing,” Goff said. “I just hope people can relate and maybe it’ll be an alternative way of everything.”