Five takeaways from Mack Brown's first press conference as UNC football head coach

Mack Brown new head coach
North Carolina football head coach Mack Brown speaks during his introductory press conference on Nov. 27, 2018.

With an official announcement that he was hired Tuesday morning, Mack Brown was introduced as the new head coach of the North Carolina football team during a press conference later that day. Here are five takeaways from the introduction as the second era of Brown's time in Chapel Hill begins:

Return of the Mack 

Tuesday’s introduction was really just a reintroduction for Brown, who previously coached at UNC from 1988 through the 1997 season. Chapel Hill was the spot where the hall-of-fame coach really started to make a name for himself in the college football world, and the second era was kicked off by plenty of excitement that he’s back.

Brown coached the Tar Heels to a 69-46-1 record before moving on to other ventures. After two straight nine-loss seasons, North Carolina fans can only hope the buzz from his return to the program will lead to greener pastures. 

But after leaving the same job nearly 21 years ago, there is some doubt about whether things might work out as well this time around as the Department of Athletics hopes. Brown, however, rejected the idea that his second stint will lead to anything but success for North Carolina. 

“The most important thing is the fit and the chemistry,” Brown said. “And we have the fit and the chemistry here.” 

The day was a University-wide spectacle

To greet the new Tar Heels’ head coach, many figures from the University and Department of Athletics were in attendance. Joining Brown on stage along with blue and white balloons were Director of Athletics Bubba Cunningham and Chancellor Carol Folt. 

Men’s basketball head coach Roy Williams and women’s basketball head coach Sylvia Hatchell were also in attendance to meet the new coach along with many of his former players from the 1980s and 1990s. It was almost like a reunion. 

Brown has a lot to get caught up on

It has been a whirlwind few days since UNC lost to N.C. State in overtime on Saturday. Two days after firing Larry Fedora, a new coach is in place in his position and that coach has plenty to learn before the Tar Heels take on South Carolina in next year's season opener on Aug. 31. 

“I know the numbers, I don’t know the names,” Brown said. “I’ve heard there’s 12 recruits. I don’t know who they are. So I’m way behind in so many areas and I’ve got to catch up.”

As of the press conference, Brown had yet to meet any of his players, nor has he had time to assemble a staff around him. He was expected to start that process later on Tuesday. 

Though he has a lot to make up for lost time as a new coach, there's no reason why he can't get up to speed. It's just going to take a few months for him to get there.

Brown has had his eye on a coaching return for a long time

Since leaving Texas five years ago, Brown has had his eye on coaching again — taking interviews for a number of jobs in the time since. After talking with his wife, the couple identified that he'd give up his ESPN analyst gig for only a few destinations that would pull him toward coaching again.

“I asked Sally two years ago where would we go?” Brown said. “She said, ‘I’ll coach with you, I’ll travel with you to three different places. I’ll go to Hawaii, I’ll go to the Bahamas if they start football, or I’ll go to Chapel Hill.’”

Now that he’s back for presumably his final run as a head coach, Brown is ready to get back into the swing of what brought him so much success the first time. 

“Somebody asked me this morning, ‘How long are you going to be there?’” Brown said. “'Rest of my life, I guess.'”

It’s not a rebuilding project

After the last two seasons of UNC football, Brown isn't inheriting a team that seems all that close to getting back to winning. But he also isn't a young coach and he didn't come out of retirement to win in a few years. He wants success now.

“We’re planning on winning next year,” Brown said. “For the seniors, you can’t say, ‘we’re going to rebuild,’ you can’t say, ‘we’re going to play all young guys.’ We want to win next year. We want to win now and that’s very very important to us.”

Brown signed a five-year deal worth $3.5 million annually, including bonuses, and that will presumably be one of his last contracts as a coach. He plans to start the success immediately.

But after two straight seasons at the bottom of the ACC, the 67-year-old has work to do to get there. But with the conclusion of Tuesday, he has already started the process, a hopeful throwback to the past like the sweater he wore the last time he spoke to the media as the coach of UNC. 

@_jackfrederick