Cameron Johnson leads the way for UNC men's basketball against Saint Francis

luke-maye-mens-basketball-
UNC players Luke Maye (32) and Cameron Johnson (13) smile after another turnover against Tennessee Tech on November 16th in the Dean Dome.

Cameron Johnson came to North Carolina (5-0) from Pittsburgh with a reputation as a scorer. He has been just that for the 2018 Tar Heel team so far this season. 

Johnson entered Monday night’s game against Saint Francis (1-3) as the team’s leading scorer with 16.3 points per game and improved that average with another 20 points in a 101-76 victory. 

Not only is he scoring, but he is doing it efficiently. Shooting 59.2 percent from the field and 56.5 percent from beyond the arc this season, Johnson is getting his chances and making the most of them.

“My teammates are doing a really good job of finding me in specific spots,” said Johnson, a graduate guard, of his hot start. “I think we’re just playing for each other and not worrying who scores the most.”

Head coach Roy Williams said it’s important for Johnson to knock down shots early, and not just to increase his offensive confidence.

“I think making shots really gets him enthused about playing on the defensive end of the floor,” Williams said. “He’s really a complete player.”

Johnson created chances from the opening whistle on Monday, recording the game’s first five points with a layup followed by a 3-pointer to get UNC going. 

“It’s just his game,” said senior guard Kenny Williams. “He plays off of other people and he can go get his own. He’s doing that to the best of his ability right now and it’s paying off.”

Johnson serves as more than just a scorer for this team, but as a leader as well. He is in his fourth full season playing for an ACC school, and he moved to within nine points of 1000 against the Red Flash. First-year point guard Coby White said he has not let Johnson's play go unnoticed.  

“He’s shown tremendous leadership on and off the court,” White said. “He leads by example; follow him and you’ll be OK.”

White and Johnson were two of the beneficiary of passes from Kenny Williams, who finished with nine assists — a career high. Kenny Williams' strongest play this season has not been from scoring the ball, but in the other facets of the game. 

“He plays good basketball,” Johnson said. “His shot will fall, so it’s great to see him do other things, and when it does it’s going to be really dangerous.”

Until Kenny Williams starts shouldering more of the scoring, he’ll be happy to contribute in any way. 

"That’s just what I do," Kenny Williams said. "Whether it be scoring the ball, defense, hustle plays or getting my teammates easy shots, I just want to impact the game in anyway I can. This five game stretch hasn’t been the best in terms of putting the ball in the basket, but in every game I think I’ve made an impact somewhere.”

Johnson and Kenny Williams have proven themselves to be consistent producers for Roy Williams so far this season. But a tough stretch of games, including a matchup with Texas on Thursday and a potential date with Michigan State or UCLA on Friday, will help the team gauge where it stands among the best squads in the country. 

“I feel like we have the potential to be very good,” Johnson said. “If we play they way we did tonight, that’s not the way we want to play. We want to play better. We need to come out with more focus, more energy, and be more deliberate about what we’re doing out there."

@TommyFradenburg