CineMASH Film Festival makes minority voices heard through short film

Asian American Film Festival
UNC MASH is hosting the first CineMASH food and film festival. Photo courtesy of UNC MASH.

When UNC MASH felt like minority voices weren't being heard, they decided to use unfiltered short films as a means to make sure they were not only heard but seen. 

The second annual CineMASH film festival will screen seven culturally relevant and thought-provoking films on Nov. 18 from 4 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. in the Great Hall.

UNC MASH, an on-campus student group that explores Mixed Asian and/or Pacific Islander students' heritage and identity, will host the event along with Carolina Advocates for Gender Equity, the UNC Persian Cultural Society, Mi Pueblo UNC and the UNC Asian American Students Association.

The short film screenings will be followed by free food and an open panel discussion with members from each of the contributing student groups.

Ben Brown, the main events chairperson for MASH, said each of the clubs represents minority groups on campus and because these groups don’t always have a voice, a short film festival is a way to express these ideas.

“The more perspectives you see, the more you’re able to appreciate,” Brown said.

Each of the seven short films will cover a culturally relevant topic that the student groups feel passionate about. Brown said the films are high quality movies with important messages. The club members said they have worked hard to curate a series of films that spoke to them.

Miranda Veal, a junior advertising major who attended the film festival last year, raved about the passionate panel discussion and the free food from Ms. Mong after the screenings.

“The people running it were so enthusiastic,” Veal said. “It’s really important to go and show your support for these different organizations. We’re definitely coming back.”

Harrison Lee, the internal chairperson for MASH, said it’s hard to find high quality short films but was confident in this year’s selection. Lee said the films touch on highly relatable ideas and themes that people don’t see very often in blockbuster movies.

“A lot of these stories haven’t been watered-down by big studios or anything,” Lee said. “Whether they’re in art school or film school, they just said, ‘Hey, I have a story I want to tell.’”

Lee said this unfiltered storytelling and open panel discussion make the event engaging. Audience members will be encouraged to contribute to discussion or ask questions for the panel members to respond to.

“It’s a cool opportunity to delve deep into content you’d never have thought of on your own,” Lee said.