Turn tension into humor at Elly Lonon's workshop on how to discuss politics

Elly Lonon
Elly Lonon, a McSweeney's columnist and satire writer, is coming to the PIT Chapel Hill to teach people how to write about serious issues using humor. Photo by Lee Seidenberg Photography.

As Thanksgiving Break has come to an end and leftovers are dwindling, many people are reflecting on those awkward, politically charged dinner table conversations they had with family. For Elly Lonon, McSweeney's columnist and satire writer, these political topics don't have to be serious — they can be opportunities for humor. 

Lonon will be hosting a workshop on Friday about satire writing at The PIT Chapel Hill to help people write with humor.  

Lydia Martin, who went to college with Lonon, said students should come to the workshop to learn how to have a non-confrontational discussion about political topics. She said Lonon has an interesting way of discussing high-tension topics, such as the current political climate. 

“A lot of political conversations turn ugly when you have people with very opposing views, but Elly has a way of using humor and satire to get a point across that doesn’t turn into anger,” Martin said. “It doesn’t lead directly to anger and harsh words. So, having a political conversation with her — whether you agree with her viewpoint or not — doesn’t become confrontational.”   

Lonon said the workshop will be writing intensive, interactive and intuitive. She said she hopes people will come to the event to learn about the vulnerability that comes with satire writing. The workshop will show students the basics of satire, while also showing that good satire writers have to be willing to put themselves out there. 

“A willingness to be vulnerable and a willingness to laugh at yourself, because chances are if you’re feeling it, it’s going to resonate with your reader,” Lonon said. 

Lonon’s history with writing stems all the way back to writing for her high school and college newspaper, yet satire writing really began to resonate with her when she had to battle cancer in 2008. She said her tendency towards sarcasm and written humor helped her get through that experience. 

Martin said Lonon's humorous outlook on political events stands out. Her pieces have also been featured beyond the McSweeney’s column, in outlets such as The New York Times.

Kathryn DeMarco, Lonon’s sister-in-law, said Lonon is unique in that she can put what needs to be said into words. She said students should come to the workshop to learn the important things to say to make a difference. 

“She’s funny, she’s down to earth and she says what’s on her mind — and it’s also important politically, personally and also globally,” DeMarco said. “She’s just really concerned — she’s always inspired me with her political activism — and then to be able to take time for family, for doing art, for raising kids and surviving cancer.”