No. 1 UNC field hockey breezes past William & Mary, 4-0, in first round of NCAAs

fockey champs
Senior midfielder Ashley Hoffman (13) dribbles the ball during the ACC Championship at Karen Shelton Stadium on November 4, 2018 where UNC beat Wake Forest 7-2. Hoffman was named ACC Defensive Player of the Year and was named MVP of UNC's field hockey team this season. Hoffman one both of these awards last year as well.

The No. 1 North Carolina field hockey team easily disposed of William & Mary on Friday afternoon at Karen Shelton Stadium, defeating the Tribe, 4-0. Senior back Ashley Hoffman led the way with two goals.

Although the Tar Heels (20-0, 6-0 ACC) controlled the tempo from the opening minute, it took a while for the team to get on the scoreboard. It wasn't until the 18th minute when first-year forward Erin Matson broke the ice to put UNC on top, 1-0. Junior forward Marissa Creatore found Matson in the middle of the box just a few yards from the William & Mary goal. Matson deftly flicked the ball up into the top left corner of the goal for her 17th score of the season.

Seven minutes later, junior forward Megan DuVernois picked up a green card, but the Tribe were unable to take advantage of the opportunity, failing to even record a shot.

In the 29th minute, the Tar Heels added to their total on a penalty corner. Matson fired the ball to the top of the goalie box and junior midfielder Yentl Leemans tapped the ball to Hoffman, who fired a shot to the same spot as Matson's earlier goal to make it a 2-0 advantage. That score held at half as the Tar Heels also held the upper hand in shot count at 5-0.

UNC wasted no time in adding to its total in the second half. Junior midfielder Catherine Hayden took a deflected ball in the goalie box, turned and fired a low strike to make it a 3-0 game, with Creatore picking up her second assist of the match.

In the 51st minute, the Tar Heels converted on another penalty corner as Hoffman found the back of the goal yet again on assists from Matson and Leemans.

That score held as UNC continued to pressure its opposition defensively until the final whistle to collect its ninth shutout of the season.

With her goal, Matson now has 17 scores on the season and she also picked up her 15th and 16th assists of the campaign on Hoffman's goals. With Hoffman's two scores, the senior back now has 14 goals on the year. 

Creatore managed two assists and now has four on the season. Leemans also had two assists on the day to give her 12 on the year.

Matson's goal set the tone, but Hoffman's first strike deflated the confidence of William & Mary in the 29th minute. The Tar Heels had only given up 13 goals all season and the Tribe were unable to find the back of the net to respond to their early deficit.

The win pushes UNC one step closer to a 10th consecutive Final Four. The Tar Heels are hoping to win their first National Championship since 2009.

Where do they play next?

North Carolina faces the winner of No. 8 Michigan and No. 10 Saint Joseph's on Sunday at 1 p.m. from Karen Shelton Stadium.

@christrenkle2