Following the major water drainage caused by a main water line break, UNC Housing sent out instructions for residents. UNC also sent a 2 p.m. update with additional information.
Campus will remain in Condition 2 until 5 p.m. Tuesday, and the town remains under a boil water advisory.
"The water supply continues to decrease on campus, posing risks to health and safety," the update said. "We encourage faculty and staff who can leave campus to do so immediately, so that services can focus on residential and essential needs."
The message also said all researchers should vacate labs due to safety risks. Safety showers and eye washes will not work, and fire sprinkler systems will have low pressure.
The message from housing asks students to adhere to the following guidelines:
- Restrict water use to essential tasks only.
- Campus toilets will not flush due to low water pressure, and additional portable toilets are on the way. Multiple portable toilets are already present near Kenan stadium.
- Do not drink water unless it is boiled.
- If a leaking pipe or facet is seen, contact Fix My Room immediately.
- Given uncertain duration of water outage, residents who have the ability to go home or stay with someone in an unaffected area should consider doing so.
The message also said that residents will be notified once a supply of bottled water is available.
Chase and Top of Lenoir Dining Halls are open for limited hours with limited menus until 8:30 p.m. A limited supply of bottled water will be available from 2 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. while supplies last. The message requests that residents only take two bottles per person.
Campus Health will continue to operate under normal conditions as long as water pressure is sufficient for patient care.
To get the day's news and headlines in your inbox each morning, sign up for our email newsletters.