ANALYSIS: White and Woods bring different skillsets to point guard position

coby-white-exhibition

UNC first-year guard Coby White (2) takes a shot during exhibition game against Mount Olive on Friday Nov. 3. 

Look at the current roster for the North Carolina men’s basketball team, and you might notice something missing. 

Gone are Joel Berry II and Theo Pinson, two senior playmakers who graduated last spring. Berry might have been the starting point guard for the last two years, but Pinson was the team’s best playmaker. He dished no look passes on the fast break and dropped off nifty shovel passes to the team’s big men off a drive. He was everything a playmaker needed to be in a Roy Williams offense. 

The playmaking is going to come down to two point guards with big question marks above their heads — junior Seventh Woods and first-year Coby White. 

White has started the first two games of the season for North Carolina, but Woods has still played meaningful minutes off the bench, averaging a career-high 15.5 minutes a game in two contests.

Stylistically, there’s more than a little bit of Pinson in the way Woods plays. Explosive athletes and good passers, who use their speed to get on the break and create an advantage for their teammates. The difference between the two, besides position, is how Pinson used his size and strength to make himself an offensive threat. 

For all four years of his UNC career, the Tar Heels were better on offense when Pinson was on the court. Woods is explosive driving to the rim, but he has trouble finishing at the bucket. He’s 2-15 on attempted 3's in his entire career. He is also a good defensive guard with the speed to keep up with most players. He also possesses athleticism that allows him to challenge shots at the rim. Forcing turnovers and using his speed on the break are his strengths.

His big advantage over White comes in experience. Williams' offense is a difficult one to run, especially for a first-year. It’s a system based around making consistent decisions on the fast-break and secondary break action and quickly reading a defense and its reaction. 

Woods is entering his third year with experience running the offense, so he should know the ins and out of it by now. So far, results have looked promising. In his 31 minutes on the court, the team has had an offensive rating of 142.4 and a defensive rating of just 85.9. Woods has never been a player who teams are scared of going for 30 points in a game, but there is a lot of value in being able to set an offense and defend at a high level.

White on the other hand, comes having scored the most all-time points in North Carolina high school history. While he has the physical ability and profile of a plus defender, his calling card has been, and always will be, making shots.

He’s an athletic guard whose combination of shooting and ability to get to the rim makes him a dangerous scorer and a perfect fit for a high-tempo North Carolina offense. He had a much better showing against Elon than he did against Wofford, going 5-10 from the floor and 2-6 from 3-point range against the Phoenix. 

White has been good so far this season in limited showings, albeit inconsistent. He could end up being one of the most capable scorers UNC has had since Tyler Hansbrough. There will most likely be nights where he can’t find his shot and looks like an inefficient gunner. There will also probably be nights where he looks like he could challenge Berry’s career-high 31 points.

Beyond scoring, White has so far been a capable passer in his short time as the lead guard, especially on the fast break. He’ll be helped out by the three leaders of the team, Kenny Williams, Luke Maye, and Cameron Johnson, all high basketball-IQ players with a knack for finding the open man. North Carolina also doesn’t run an offense that relies on one guard dominating the ball, which should allow White to focus on scoring. 

For White, his success will come down to finding consistency as the youngest starter on a UNC team looking to push towards another national title. Whether he can find it or not, or whether Roy Williams decides to go with experience and play Woods in close games down the stretch instead, remains to be seen. 

@bg_keyes