David Price wins re-election to N.C. District 4

North Carolina Congressman David Price marches with protestors as they make their way through Raleigh during the 2016 Women's March in protest of the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States.

Democratic incumbent U.S. Rep. David Price won the race for U.S. House of Representatives for North Carolina’s 4th congressional district with 78 percent votes with 90.91 percent of precincts reporting.

This will be Price’s 16th term representing District 4. Price first joined Congress in 1987, when he defeated Republican Bill Cobey. He served through 1994, when he lost to Republican Fred Heinemen, but he was quickly reelected and has served since 1997.

This year, Price defeated Republican Steve Von Loor, a small business owner from Alabama, as well as Libertarian Barbara Howe, who has served four terms as chairperson of the Libertarian Party of North Carolina.

Education is one of Price’s top priorities, and as a senior member of the House Appropriations Committee, he has advocated for more investment in education.

“As a former educator and the son of a teacher, I have always viewed education as one of my highest priorities in Congress,” Price said in a statement on his website. “I believe strongly that quality education is the essential key to our economic competitiveness and prosperity, and that current efforts to cut education funding in the name of reducing the budget are dangerously misguided and counterproductive.”

Price endorsed Hillary Clinton in the 2016 presidential election and believes in commonsense gun regulations that are in compliance with the second amendment.

Price has been the primary sponsor of seven bills that have been enacted, most recently the Housing Opportunities for Persons With AIDS Modernization Act of 2016.

Price supports legislation such as the Clean Water Act and Clean Air Act and is a member of the Sustainable Energy and Environment Coalition.

Price also supports campaign reform and introduced a bill to improve election finance transparency.

"He is thoughtful, he is consistent, he has a long history of working with these issues from being a professor until now," said Marybeth Dugan, a supporter from Durham. "I like the critical thinking he brings to the table." 

At the N.C. Democrats Party election party in Raleigh, Price looked forward.

“For us, the next step is going to be doing what we said we would do during the campaign," he said to the crowd. "Number one, to create a check for this President. Number two, chart a positive course for the country. Instead of just playing defense, we hope to play offense.”

He hopes the party will turn its focus to education, health care, infrastructure and affordable housing.

@David_Saff

Georgia Wieland-Stanford contributed reporting.