“It’s just a really good way to support student artists and get presents in time for the holiday season,” Prasad said.
Sellers receive 90 percent of the profits from sold pieces. The remaining 10 percent goes back to the Studio Art Majors Association. This money helps the organization buy materials and put on future art shows.
“It’s a big opportunity to just sell stuff that you have made because normally you don’t really get that kind of exposure to the community unless you really go out and try to gather it for yourself,” veteran art seller Zita Voros, a former design editor for The Daily Tar Heel, said.
Voros has been a contributor of artwork for the past several years, and they are contributing this year as well. They have submitted a wide range of art from handmade soaps to ceramics. They became involved with the sale as a first-year when their printmaking professor encouraged them to submit their work.
In 2014 when Voros was a first-year, the sale was limited to print only. Voros said only a small amount of people would submit work, and there was little attention drawn to the event. Now, as all art forms and interested sellers are accepted, they said the sale has become more popular.
“Sales have basically risen every single year and they have broken their records continuously so they’re hoping to break it this year as well,” Voros said.
Last year, they made around $600 in profits from the sale.
“I’m interested to see the art produced by undergrads at UNC, and I may want to buy original art for either me or my sisters for Christmas presents,” first-year student Maeve Adams said.