Q&A with N.C. State sports editor Andrew Schnittker

N.C. State players celebrate after a touchdown. 

The North Carolina football team hosts N.C. State for its regular season finale on Saturday at Kenan Memorial Stadium, with kickoff at 12:20 p.m. Sports editor Chris Hilburn-Trenkle spoke with The Technician's sports editor Andrew Schnittker, who offered insights ahead of this week's game.

The Daily Tar Heel: What is the key to stopping N.C. State quarterback Ryan Finley?

Andrew Schnittker: You need to get pressure on him and force him to make some hurried throws and bad decisions. Finley's worst game of the season, and arguably of his N.C. State career, was in the loss to Clemson. Finley threw multiple interceptions and could not move the ball down the field as he was constantly pressured and hit by Clemson's front. The Tar Heels' defensive front obviously isn't anywhere near that level, but they do have some talent and an active front. Putting pressure on Finley will be critical for the UNC defensive line.

DTH: After losing to Wake Forest on Senior Night, do you expect an inspired performance from the Wolfpack?

AS: I definitely expect an inspired performance. N.C. State is better than UNC on paper, but this team knows it can't sleep on the Tar Heels and anything can happen in this rivalry. The fact that N.C. State beat superior Tar Heel teams in its last two trips to Kenan Memorial Stadium should definitely have taught them that. This senior class has a chance to go out with a three-game win streak in this rivalry, which is something that would only add to its legacy with this fanbase. They (the seniors) will get up for this game.

DTH: What is the biggest matchup that UNC could potentially exploit on offense?

AS: N.C. State's secondary is bad — very bad. Even in wins, the Wolfpack's defensive backs tend to get burned, and they definitely have (go take a look at the Syracuse tape) in losses. The Wolfpack are particularly vulnerable to slot receivers, so (receiver) Dazz Newsome could be in line for a big game. Getting (receiver) Anthony Ratliff-Williams on the outside against N.C. State cornerback Chris Ingram is also probably going to be a win every time for the Tar Heels.

DTH: Who will be N.C. State's key players in this game?

AS: Finley and (receiver) Kelvin Harmon, for the reasons stated above. Germaine Pratt is one of the best linebackers in the country and leads the ACC in tackles, and N.C. State may need a big play or two from him, especially if Ratliff-Williams and Newsome are lighting up the secondary. N.C. State has rushed for over 150 yards in all of its ACC wins, and needs that trend to continue here, so Reggie Gallaspy (power) and Ricky Person (speed) will need to come to play as well.

DTH: What is your prediction for this game?

AS: The Tar Heels keep this close early and get a couple big plays against N.C. State's secondary, but the Wolfpack's edge in talent is the difference down the stretch. N.C. State 38, UNC 21. 

@christrenkle2