UNC swimming and diving compete at Georgia Tech Fall Invitational

20181026_0449.JPG
Patrick Cusick waves his shirt and cheers with the rest of the swim team after Sophie Lindner's victory in the women's 100 yard butterfly at the home swim meet vs South Carolina on Friday, Oct. 26 2018.

The North Carolina swimming and diving team placed sixth and eighth, respectively, in the women and men’s competition at the Georgia Tech Fall Invitational Nov. 15 through 17. 

The Tar Heels ended Thursday with 160 total points for the women and 116 points for the men. North Carolina finished second in the women’s 200 free ‘A’ relay with a time of 1:29:2 to add 46 points to their score. 

Grace Countie placed second in the women’s 50 freestyle with a time of 22.44. Brooke Bauer finished seventh with a time of 22.67 and Kate Boyer swam a personal best of 22.67, taking 10th place. 

North Carolina racked up points in the men’s one-meter and women’s three-meter finals, with Sean Burston earning a runner-up title with a score of 346.50 points, and Emily Grund finishing fifth with 320.9 points. 

The Tar Heels finished seventh in the men’s 200 freestyle and eighth in the men’s 400 medley ‘A’ to head into day two ranking eighth against nine, and the Tar Heel women ranking seventh out of 10 teams. 

North Carolina moved up the rankings on day two of competition on Friday, with the women ranking fifth and the men ranking seventh. The Tar Heels started strong with top-five finishes in the men’s and women’s 200 medley relays. 

North Carolina appeared in 31 individual finals, with Bryanna Cameron finishing 10th in the women’s 400 intermedley and Lilly Higgs and Caroline Hauder finishing seventh and eighth, respectively, in the 100-meter breaststroke. 

The Tar Heels earned top-10 finishes in the women’s one-meter and men’s three-meter events. Mary-O Soule and Emma Cole placed 18th in the women’s 400 intermedley and women’s 100 fly, respectively, adding to the Tar Heels’ score. The Tar Heels ended the night with points coming from the 800 meter freestyle relays. 

North Carolina fell from its second day placement in the third day of the tournament on Saturday, Nov. 17th, to finish with the women ranking sixth with 565.5 points and the men ranking eighth with 369 points.  

On the first day of competition, sophomore Alvin Jiang led the Tar Heel men in the 200 free and 400 medley ‘A’ relays to a seventh and eighth place finish, respectively. Jiang swam a season-best 100 back in the 400 medley relay with a time of 46.64. 

On the second day, Jiang swam another fast 100 back with a time of 47.31, making an appearance in the individual A final. Jiang set a season record for the Tar Heels with his performance on the third day in the men’s 400 free relay, with a personal-best of 44.63 and relay time of 2:57:49. 

Countie and Higgs both made names for themselves at the Georgia Tech Invitational. Countie swam a 22.44 in the women’s’ 200 free ‘A’ relay and earned fifth in the women’s 100 backstroke with a 52.77 prelim and finish of 53.19, earning two top-10 times in the UNC record books. 

Higgs set another record for North Carolina in the 100m breastroke with a time of 1:01.19, earning ninth in school history and finishing seventh in the event. 

The Tar Heels' finish in the tournament was decided on the third day when their ability to score points faltered against four women’s top-25 programs and five nationally ranked men's teams.

Not only did the Tar Heels set season-bests and break personal records, but they achieved new all-time bests in UNC history. 

Several Tar Heel individuals also earned cuts. Countie, Bauer, and Boyer all earned an NCAA ‘B’ cut with their qualifying times in the women’s 50 free. Hauder earned an NCAA qualifying time in the 200 IM ‘A’.

The Tar Heels will look to earn Olympic Trials cuts as they swim next at the 2018 USA Swimming AT&T Winter Nationals in Greensboro, NC from Nov. 28-Dec. 1. 

@savannahhuntt | @DTHSports