Local businesses find a unique way to say "thank you" through Veranda Festival

Imagine Circus
Imagine Circus will perform at the second annual Veranda Festival in Chapel Hill on Nov. 9. Photo courtesy of Liz Bliss.

Local businesses are coming together on Nov. 9 for the second annual Veranda Fall Festival to thank the community for its continuing support. 

The family-friendly event will include entertainment from Imagine Circus, a circus-style performance company, and trick-or-treating at the businesses located in the Veranda. The event will feature 12 locally owned and operated businesses.

Liz Bliss, a co-owner and performer for Imagine Circus, said there will be a range of live performances at the event. Imagine Circus was also featured during last year’s festival.

“The Veranda Festival will have several fire and LED shows, one of our living statues — as well as a couple of stilt walkers,” Bliss said.

Imagine Circus will have ongoing performances for three hours beginning at 5 p.m. The final performance will include the LED and fire show.

The event will also feature a DJ and will be collecting donations for Hurricane Relief to help victims of Hurricane Florence.

Heather Lloyd, the owner and operator of Edge Aveda Men, said the festival is a way for the local businesses to thank their patrons.

“The purpose was really to celebrate the community that has been so supportive of our businesses," Lloyd said. "We just wanted to throw a big party for the people who make our businesses viable. It was really just to say thank you to everybody for creating an environment where small businesses are supported and really valued.”

With the addition of 501 Pharmacy and Carolina Convenience Care, the Veranda became fully operational in December 2016. According to its website, the goal of developing the Veranda was to create a front porch atmosphere where community members can interact and develop a small town environment.

Han Su, co-owner of the 501 Pharmacy, said the show of support at the festival last year encouraged the businesses to have another fall festival this year.

“The best part was actually just seeing all the people come out to the event just because it showed how much this community has embraced our establishments here,” Su said. 

In addition to thanking the local patrons, the festival displays the level of commitment the businesses have to the community, Su said.

“It shows the community that we are vested in what we’re doing here and that we’re not just a business,” Su said. “We’re trying to assimilate into the community, and have the people look at the businesses here as part of where they live.”