Viewpoints: Remakes are uncreative and add nothing new to the story or our culture

Alec Dent.JPG

(Editor's note: Before reading this article, read the opposing viewpoint by Paige Masten)

Twenty-five years after the release of "The Lion King," Disney is giving us a remake. How’s that for the circle of life, am I right? No? OK, I’ll stop.

Anyway, they released a teaser trailer last week, and honestly, we’re not worthy. 

Don’t get me wrong — this isn’t something I ever thought I wanted, much less needed. "The Lion King" is my favorite Disney movie, and I love it plenty as is, 1990s-era animations and all. But I mean, Donald Glover as Simba? Beyoncé as Nala? Billy Eichner, Seth Rogen, and John Oliver? I couldn’t have cast it better if I tried. 

In fact, the cast is so perfectly tailored to my interests that I firmly believe the FBI agent inside my computer sold my data to Disney to use for casting purposes. Change my mind. 

Although the film does use CGI instead of live action, the graphics really are stunning. Pride Rock is gorgeous, and baby Simba is quite possibly the cutest thing I have ever feasted my eyes upon. If there’s one reason that you should go see the movie, baby Simba is it. Although, a Beyoncé-Donald Glover duet of “Can You Feel the Love Tonight?” is a very, very close second. And we can all sleep soundly tonight knowing that James Earl Jones has reprised his role as Mufasa to bless all of us with his beautiful, spectacular, resounding, rich, buttery voice. Thank you, James Earl Jones. 

To all you haters (yes, I’m talking to you, Alec) who are so vehemently opposed to the remake, I ask only one thing: why are you so bitter? I wish I had the time and energy to fully explain to you why this is such a beautiful thing. So what if it is a shot-for-shot remake? Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. 

When Disney released one Star Wars sequel after another, milking the franchise money machine for all it was worth, did I say anything? No. Not a single utterance escaped my lips! Not one, I tell you. I remained silent, keeping my feelings to myself, allowing Star Wars fans to relish in all its perceived glory. But I digress.

Maybe I’m the only one who is full of excitement, but it’s OK, I have enough of it to go around. I love The Lion King, so much so that I am happily willing to accept it in all of its forms: animated or CGI, Broadway musical or live action. In fact, my high school did "The Lion King" for its spring musical my senior year, and it was so good that I went to see it twice. 

Donald Glover just can’t wait to be king, and I can’t wait for him to be king either. Hopefully the movie lives up to my standards. "The Lion King," you have some big paws to fill.

(Alec's note: Sorry Paige, I couldn't resist! Well, I could, I just chose not to.)