UNC women's basketball picks up second straight win in Paradise Jam over No. 17 USF

Women's Basketball Kent State Stephanie Watts
Junior guard Stephanie Watts (5) dribbles down the court during game against Kent State on Friday, Nov. 9, 2018 at Carmichael Arena. UNC won 73-60.

The North Carolina women's basketball team doubled down on its success in the Paradise Jam at the University of the Virgin Islands, defeating No. 17 South Florida, 71-69.

Redshirt junior guard carried the scoring load for the Tar Heels (5-1) with 24 points to lead the way over the Bulls (4-2).

UNC led the game early and a fastbreak layup by junior guard Taylor Koenen made it a 14-11 score in the first quarter. The Bulls came roaring back with a 7-0 run, started by first-year guard Sydni Harvey, who hit a 3-pointer and a layup. A pair of free throws by junior transfer Shayla Bennett ended UNC's scoring drought, but the Bulls still led 20-16 after the first quarter of play.

The second quarter shifted in North Carolina's favor. Watts had 13 of her 24 points in the quarter, including three 3-pointers and UNC went into halftime leading, 35-31. Watts paced all scorers in the first half with 18 points while shooting an efficient 75 percent from the field.

The Tar Heels continued to add to their lead in the third quarter. Sophomore forward Janelle Bailey continued to show off her increased shooting range with a 3-pointer to give her team a 54-50 advantage with 2:42 remaining in the period. Her long range field goal kickstarted a 7-0 run as UNC went into the final quarter of play leading, 58-51. 

Late in the fourth quarter UNC held a 70-65 advantage before redshirt senior guard Paris Kea converted a free throw to make it a 6-point advantage with 20 seconds left. A 3-pointer by first-year guard Elisa Pinzan cut the Tar Heel lead to three points with just nine seconds left. However, the Bulls were unable to capitalize on a turnover by Bennett and UNC held on for the 71-69 win.

Watts stole the show with a game-high 24 points, including 18 in the first half. With the big day, Watts upped her scoring average to 12.2 points per game on the season. Bailey and Kea also finished in double figures, with 14 points apiece. Bailey also led the team in rebounds with seven on the day. Bennett did not shoot well from the field (2-7), but handed out a team-high three assists.

A made free throw from Kea with 20 seconds left in the contest sealed the upset victory for the Tar Heels. The Bulls cut the lead down to three points, but could not take advantage of a late UNC turnover to tie the game in the closing seconds.

With the win, the Tar Heels are now 5-1 on the young season. More importantly, they beat a strong team and have now won back-to-back games against teams that made the 2018 NCAA Tournament.

The Tar Heels face an undefeated Kentucky (6-0) squad on Saturday at 1 p.m. before returning home to Chapel Hill. It won't be a long break, however, as the Tar Heels face Ohio State Thursday in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. 

@christrenkle2