Get stoked to party hardy at WXYC's totally rad '80s Dance

WXYC '80s Dance

WXYC is hosting a dance to celebrate the music of the 1980s. Photo courtesy of Ashley Choo-Hen. 

WXYC will attempt the impossible later this week: time-traveling back to the decade when Michael Jordan was still playing in Carolina blue and white.

This Thursday, Nov. 29, WXYC will be hosting a 1980s themed dance at Cat’s Cradle. Doors open at 8 p.m., and the dance will go from 8:30 p.m. to 1 a.m.

The dance’s Facebook event is encouraging people to come in their best 1980s-themed costumes. The event also cites a recent resurgence of 1980s nostalgia. Seamus Holland, a DJ for WXYC, agreed that the 1980s are in.

“There’s a lot of great music that was released in the '80s, and I feel like it’s been kind of having a resurgence, almost, in popular culture,” Holland said. “I feel like there’s a lot of different trends that are harkening back to the '80s, and I’ve seen a lot of movies that are set in the '80s.”

Various WXYC DJs will spin tracks at the event, each doing a 50-minute set. WXYC officially announced set lists and DJs yesterday. Tickets will be sold in the Pit starting at 10 a.m. on Wednesday and Thursday.

Brennan Colucci is one of the dance’s DJs. Colucci said one of his set’s highlights will be “Tainted Love” by Soft Cell. He thinks people will discover new music at the '80s dance, as many of the DJs plan on mixing in deep cuts from the '80s with more familiar hits. 

Ashley Choo-Hen, a WXYC DJ, has been to other WXYC decade-themed dances, but this will be her first '80s dance. Choo-Hen said she is excited about it and has encouraged people who aren’t '80’s aficionados to come out to the dance.

“Some things from the '80s, looking back on it now, are super gawdy, not cool at all, but the DJs who are DJing the dance will play things that they know people will love,” Choo-Hen said.

Colucci said that, aside from obvious differences, the '80s dance will cover more ground musically than WXYC’s 2000s dance or 1990s dance.

“I think we have a wider spread of genres in the '80s dance. At least with the 2000s dance it usually tends to be in the pop and hip hop section. I’ve already kind of browsed over everyone’s set list. In the '80s dance there’s everything from new wave to pop, rock, disco, Michael Jackson, Madonna to Darryl Hall and (John) Oates,” Colucci said.

Though most of the attendees grew up well after all of the songs to be played at Thursday’s dance were popular, Colucci feels that doesn’t make the dance any less fun.

“Through our parents and popular culture we learned these songs, and we still have the ability to all come together and sing along and connect through that music,” Colucci said.