Column: The protest that cried wolf

Seth Newkirk

Editor’s note: Publishing this piece was an oversight. While this column does not reflect the view of the editorial board or of most members of our newsroom, it was published in an attempt to reflect differing viewpoints on Silent Sam from UNC students. 

It is inexcusable to publish a piece that implies that student activists, many of whom are Black, do not understand racism more than a white columnist. It is a betrayal to many of our Black readers and staffers. 

It would also feel disingenuous to retract the piece, at this point — it stayed up for several weeks without comment from any of the editors who read it. Issues with the piece were pointed out on social media, and by staffers of color. This note is an apology, and a promise to do better. In the future, we will attempt to draw a firmer line between alternate perspectives and ignorance in our editorial content. 

There are a lot of stupid things in the world right now. I’ve heard Republicans argue that Trump has good moral character – he doesn't. I’ve heard people say the world is getting worse – it’s not. I’ve heard that people shouldn’t vaccinate their children – really? I’ve heard that the orcs in the Lord of the Rings prove Tolkien was racist – y’all need to chill. 

But the idea that Chancellor Folt is protecting white supremacy? I’m not sure whether to cry or laugh. 

Quite frankly, the solution proposed by Folt this morning in regards to the placement of Silent Sam is unsatisfactory to many parties. This, perhaps, is because it seeks to achieve a place of moderation and compromise – something unacceptable in these polarized times. Although the cost may be prohibitive, I believe the plan is well thought out and provides an excellent way forward to continuing to acknowledge the history of the University.  

I was initially willing to give Maya Little and other prominent UNC social activists the benefit of the doubt. I believed these folks were doing their level best to make UNC a better place where equality of opportunity can be afforded to all, even if I did not believe they were doing a very good job of it.

This cannot be the case. 

To claim that UNC has a racist environment, to say that Chancellor Folt is supporting white supremacy, to claim such things – one must be either horribly misguided, not wise enough to know what real racism is or willfully misleading. 

Quite honestly, I have no idea which category Maya Little and her cohort belong to. I suspect they belong partially to the group which has no idea what true racism looks and feels like and, in search of their own crusade, have projected an inquisition onto the mostly benign UNC campus and culture. I also suspect they partially belong to the group which is willfully misleading. Power and fame are intoxicating even in small doses; it would not surprise me if they’ve had a taste and want more. 

Simply: if you believe the presence of a monument in a museum on UNC’s campus puts people in danger, you do not know what real danger is. 

As a side-note, to protesters everywhere, when you chant “cops and Klan go hand-in-hand,” and some of the officers at which you are chanting are Black...you look stupid. If you want people to take you and your movement seriously, use some common sense and chant things that might actually be true.