Press Coverage with UNC field hockey head coach Karen Shelton and Morgan Goetz

field hockey huddle
UNC field hockey huddles before the game against William & Mary in round one of the NCAA Tournament at Karen Shelton Stadium Friday. UNC field hockey is advancing to the second round of the tournament after defeating William & Mary 4-0.

The University of North Carolina just won its 44th national championship in school history on Nov. 18, and this time it was in field hockey. 

On this week’s episode of Press Coverage, Brian Keyes and Mark Burnett interviewed UNC field hockey head coach Karen Shelton, who just won her seventh national title with the program. Both reporters and Shelton are joined later in the episode by senior defender Morgan Goetz to talk about how exactly the team's undefeated season played out.

Shelton credited a major part of the team’s success to the locker room culture that the Tar Heels had all year long. 

“They actually enjoyed each other's’ company. Their motto this year was ‘with each other for each other.’” We were all in it together, and I think there was this amazing trust by everyone, is that our locker room is a safe place, and they can be who they are and be accepted and embraced.” 

Keyes and Burnett also spoke with Shelton about her beginnings with the program, and what it’s like to be the first woman to be have a UNC athletic facility named after her, what it’s like to play in the state-of-the-art Karen Shelton Field Hockey Stadium, and what it meant to Shelton and the rest of the team to win an ACC Championship on their home turf. 

Keyes and Burnett also ask Goetz about how she felt being recruited by her local team, as well as her thoughts on closing out her Tar Heel career with a statement.

Press Coverage with Karen Shelton and Morgan Goetz