UNC women's soccer falls in National Championship, 1-0, to Florida State Sunday

UNC senior defender Julia Ashley lays on the ground in anguish following UNC's 1-0 loss to Florida State in the National Championship game at Sahlen's Stadium at WakeMed Soccer Park in Cary on Dec. 2, 2018.

CARY – North Carolina women’s soccer’s quest for a 22nd College Cup title came up just short on Sunday, as the Tar Heels fell to fellow No. 1 seed Florida State, 1-0, in the National Championship game at Sahlen’s Stadium at WakeMed Soccer Park. 

The game was a rematch of the ACC Championship, which was also won by the Seminoles. On that day four weeks ago, FSU’s Dallas Dorosy was involved in each of the Seminoles’ goals. And on Sunday, it was once again Dorosy who cost UNC a chance at a championship, as her 60th-minute score proved to be the only thing separating the two teams. 

Entering the match, UNC was 21-3 in College Cup championship matches, last falling in a national title game in 2001. The Tar Heels, whose 21 College Cup titles are the most in history, were searching for their first National Championship since 2012, when they defeated Penn State. 

With the loss, UNC finished the season 21-4-2.  

It took UNC less than a minute to register its first shot of the day, but that wasn’t an accurate sign of things to come. 

Instead, the Tar Heels found things difficult offensively during the first half, with both teams playing a physical opening 45 minutes. 

While nothing came easily for FSU, the Seminoles had the better of the chances for most of the first half, with the Seminoles’ best chance coming in the 23rd minute. Dorosy, who went for two goals and an assist when FSU beat UNC four weeks ago in the ACC Championship, let loose on a powerful shot from the edge of the 18-yard box after being played in by midfielder Yujie Zhao, but saw her effort go wide right. After the near-miss, UNC goalkeeper Samantha Leshnak voiced her displeasure with her back line’s performance on the play. 

Chances continued to come about for the Seminoles, but UNC eventually create a few opportunities for themselves, thanks to a pair of substitutes. 

Forward Ru Mucherera and midfielder Rachel Jones were both active on the left and right flanks, respectively, for the Tar Heels in both the attack and in tracking back defensively. In the 36th minute, Jones did well to beat a defender off the dribble and make a run to the end line, forcing the Seminoles to put the ball out of play for a UNC corner kick. Moments later, first-year Rachael Dorwart met center back Lotte Wubben-Moy’s service, pushing her header just wide to the left. 

Like it did on Friday against Georgetown, UNC went into halftime in a scoreless draw. 

That changed, however, in the 60th minute, when Dorosy got back to her scoring ways against the Tar Heels. 

Approaching the 18-yard box out on the right wing, FSU’s Deyna Castellanos delivered a curving service that Dorosy slid down to push into the net, as UNC’s Leshnak dove in the opposite direction. 

FSU continued to keep its foot on the gas even after it took the lead, and UNC struggled to gain possession. Eventually the Tar Heels began to create chances for themselves, including a 73rd-minute shot from forward Madison Schultz. Played in by a flick-on from midfielder Annie Kingman, Schultz’s shot from a tight angle went straight to FSU goalkeeper Caroline Jeffers, however. 

In the match’s final minutes, UNC forced FSU deep into its own end, having to often defend with 11 players behind the ball. In the 87th minute, left back Emily Fox won a corner kick for the Tar Heels but they couldn’t convert. The same was true when center back Wubben-Moy took a free kick from the left flank in the game’s closing seconds, as UNC couldn’t find an equalizer. 

For the Seminoles, it was Dorosy who once again caused trouble for the Tar Heels. While the senior midfielder missed her scoring opportunity in the first half, she took her chance well the second time around and notched the game-winner. 

In the middle of the park, Zhao was a stabilizing force for FSU with her passing and composure on the ball. 

No player in particular enjoyed a great day in the final third for UNC, though first-year midfielder Brianna Pinto and Schultz became bigger factors as the game went on. Knowing what UNC had done well recently, FSU did a good job of slowing down UNC outside backs Fox and Julia Ashley, both of whom had done well in recent games of getting forward into attacking positions. 

While Dorosy’s goal was the difference-maker, UNC wasn’t out of the game until the final whistle.

The Tar Heels came up just short in snapping the longest title drought in program history.

UNC won’t take the field again until August.

@brennan_doherty